Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Chris <ch...@comcast.net> on 2005/09/14 09:39:15 UTC

Extensive logging (similar to catalyst)

Greetings,

We have a web application running under mod_perl. It is pretty complex, and we
have built extensive logging into the code.

Multiple levels of logging are available, everything from logging variable
contents, hash contents, headers, post/get request content, etc.

An example of what we are doing now would be something like:

my @check_params = ( $q->param('field1'), $q->param('field2') );

logger(@check_params,  $date_time . "- Contents of fields to check: ") if
$debug = 3;

As you can see this can build up a ton of code quick and ugly.

I saw a screen shot of the perl "catalyst mvc framework" located at:
http://www.perl.com/2005/06/02/graphics/log-screenshot.gif

and would like to do the same. I took a look at their code, but got lost
pretty quick..

Any tips are appreciated!