Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by YuanSheng Wang <me...@apache.org> on 2020/01/06 08:11:22 UTC

add a free and available IP library to APISIX, what do you think about GeoIP2?

Hi:

Add a free and available IP library to APISIX, what do you think about
GeoIP2?

Here is the link[1].

[1] https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-databases

--
*MembPhis*
My github: https://github.com/membphis

Re: add a free and available IP library to APISIX, what do you think about GeoIP2?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Back to Justin's question, GeoIP2 also provides the geolite2 version[2],
> which is under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 license.
> So if Apache APISIX wants to support GeoIP2, We need to clearly indicate
> its geoip2 and geolite2 version in the document.

Right, there are multiple geo db products under different licenses so we need to know which one is being considered, if it needs to be included in a source release, is a dependancy and if that is truely optional.

Thanks,
justin

Re: add a free and available IP library to APISIX, what do you think about GeoIP2?

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Hi, yuansheng,
I guess the link[1] in your first email is misleading.

I think your original intention was to add a driver to parse the GeoIP2
library,
and it will not add a binary GeoIP2 database to the repo, right?

Back to Justin's question, GeoIP2 also provides the geolite2 version[2],
which is under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 license.
So if Apache APISIX wants to support GeoIP2, We need to clearly indicate
its geoip2 and geolite2 version in the document.

[1] https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-databases
[2] https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX
Twitter: _WenMing

YuanSheng Wang <me...@gmail.com> 于2020年1月7日周二 上午9:59写道:

Posted by YuanSheng Wang <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by YuanSheng Wang <me...@gmail.com>.

> My reading of that page is that you would need a commercial license and
> that would mean it's not compatible with the Apache License.

We only provide GeoIP2 driver code, APISIX users should fetch the IP
database by himself if they want to enable the IP location feature.

So I think that is fine for the license.

For example, we can use this library `lua-resty-maxmindb`.

[1] https://github.com/anjia0532/lua-resty-maxminddb

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,