Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by up...@3.am on 2006/06/09 15:43:59 UTC

BL hits on wrong host

I've seen this before, but it's been a while.  An AOL user who's on
Verizon DSL, sends an email that trips two DNS BLs in SA.  This user's
Verizon DSL IP is listed for being an open relay, which it may or may not
be, since this is presumably a dynamic IP  The mail is then relayed
through AOL's network, which is NOT listed in said BLs.

Shouldn't these BLs only hit on the last Received: host?  Or does this
only apply to DUL-type BLs?

up@3.am							    http://3.am

Re: BL hits on wrong host

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
up@3.am wrote:
> I've seen this before, but it's been a while.  An AOL user who's on
> Verizon DSL, sends an email that trips two DNS BLs in SA.  This user's
> Verizon DSL IP is listed for being an open relay, which it may or may not
> be, since this is presumably a dynamic IP  The mail is then relayed
> through AOL's network, which is NOT listed in said BLs.
>
> Shouldn't these BLs only hit on the last Received: host?  Or does this
> only apply to DUL-type BLs?

Typical symptom of a broken trust path. (i.e.: you need to configure
trusted_networks manually, because SA's guesser believes that AOL's
mailserver is a part of YOUR network, and thinks the user
direct-delivered the spam)

See:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath