Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/06 21:52:34 UTC

javaee api jar/bundle questions

Hi,

What would people think of using the maven-bundle-plugin to assemble the javaee-api jar instead of the shade plugin?  I think the main difference would be that the export packages would be generated by bnd from those in the included bundles so we wouldn't have to maintain them.

Also, currently the javax.transaction* packages are exported at version 5.0, as of rev 829242.  Since the geronimo spec jar exports at version 1.1 this makes me wonder how this all works together.  Anyone know anything about this?

In general I find myself wondering why jar packaging is used with bnd manifest generation rather than bundle packaging.

thanks
david jencks

Re: javaee api jar/bundle questions

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 6, 2011, at 3:52 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 12:52 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What would people think of using the maven-bundle-plugin to assemble the javaee-api jar instead of the shade plugin?  I think the main difference would be that the export packages would be generated by bnd from those in the included bundles so we wouldn't have to maintain them.
>>
>> Also, currently the javax.transaction* packages are exported at version 5.0, as of rev 829242.  Since the geronimo spec jar exports at version 1.1 this makes me wonder how this all works together.  Anyone know anything about this?
>>
>> In general I find myself wondering why jar packaging is used with bnd manifest generation rather than bundle packaging.
>
> I've always just taken it on faith that whatever is there OSGi-wise works for whoever put it there.  Some of the time I wonder if it actually does work at all and if what is there actually just falls into the "it stops the errors" category, which is not quite the same as "working".
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure what is involved in the tradeoff.
>
> I assume the resulting jar could still be consumed by non-OSGi environments as a plain "<type>jar</type>" dependency?

Looks like the maven-bundle-plugin creates "incorrect" poms. i.e. it doesn't trim the bundled dependencies out of the published pom like it should.

Switched us back to the shade plugin for now.  If anyone can figure out how to get the resulting pom to be accurate with the maven-bundle-plugin, go for it.

-David

Re: javaee api jar/bundle questions

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume the resulting jar could still be consumed by non-OSGi environments as a plain "<type>jar</type>" dependency?

I'd say OSGi specific portions of a bundle Manifest file will simply
be ignored by non-OSGi environments.

Cheers
Daniel

Re: javaee api jar/bundle questions