Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/01 08:57:22 UTC

Re: I'm working on an OFBiz helm chart for kubernetes

Hi Ioan,

My apologies for the late reaction.

IMO we can forget about the Derby route for this. Derby is not production
grade, and often adopters/implementers already have their preferred RDBMS
for production in play or decided upon.  Configuration of such is the
entityengine.xml file, and deployment of such for the various
environments/instances like UAT or PROD can easily managed and deployed via
VCS.

Best regards,
Pierre Smits

Posted by RajaDurai Krishnamoorthy <k....@gmail.com>.
Hello  Eugen and all,

This is really a great thing to do. I am sure a lot of devs will be
interested in this, Will be happy to collaborate.

Regards,
Raja

Raja

Re: I'm working on an OFBiz helm chart for kubernetes

Posted by Carsten Schinzer <ca...@dcs-verkaufssysteme.de>.
Hello Eugen and all,

Posted by Alexis TADIFO <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Eugen,
I would like to be involved.

Regards.

*Alexis TADIFO*

*Software engineer - IT Consultant*

Ingénieur de conception en informatique
📞 (+237) 697 991 590 📞(+1) 418 569 8877

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,

Thanks for the reply.

I know this what you stated about Kubernetes and Docker images. But that is
not about the point I was asking about. My apologies if it didn't trigger
the right bells.

You talked about not having a clear way of loading data (I presume seed,
and maybe seed-ext) into the database of an OFBiz implementation (either in
a Docker environment, or a Kubernetes setup, on prem or off prem), and this
is what I am driving at:

   1. An OFBiz implementation with Apache Derby (whatever the
   environment) s not suitable for production. It is suitable for development.
   Every user, like me, doesn't use OFBiz in combination with Derby as
   production environment. It can be used for testing (SIT, UAT), but as you
   say, loading data into the database can be a problem with given means for
   Derby.;
   2. An OFBiz implementation with a production grade rdbms underneath is
   suitable for production. And it is suitable for testing. Most
   implementation will have the OFBiz implementation not on the same as the
   rdbms is.

In both cases, loading of data into the underlying rdbms is an issue
solvable. in the first case, we have scripts for that available. In the
second case, devops will have their ways to load data into the rdbms
directly (with sql scripts) before firing up (running OFBiz).

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)
Proud contributor to the ASF since 2006

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.
Hello Alexis, Pierre,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.
Thank you Gil, that will come in handy.

Long term I would like to see configuration overhaul.

IMO and following good practices:

Each "component/service" should use POJO's - simple properties
(strings, longs, booleans, list and maps of those)

"Components/services" will not read the configuration, it will be handed
to them.

Configuration loading should be done in the main entry point in OFBiz
and this could take into account multiple sources like:

* files and/or a directory of configs - like conf.d patter in linux /etc
* env properties
* cli args

Config is loaded in one place, components are create with this
configuration passed as Java objects / values.

I think there are a few no-dependencies libraries out there that fit
these requirements.

p.s. I will do some more work on chart in the next months and get back.

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Stan
+40720 898 747 / netdava.com

Re: I'm working on an OFBiz helm chart for kubernetes

Posted by Gil Portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.