Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Sudheesh Katkam <sk...@maprtech.com> on 2015/04/21 22:03:41 UTC

Option name case sensitivity?

Hey y'all,

As part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-2304, I am trying to
make the option name case insensitive. My question is: should option name
be case-preserving during registration? Other components of Drill follow
the 'case-preserving but case-insensitive'  pattern. Jason and I don't
think this component needs to follow that pattern.

It looks like the current convention is to make option names lowercase. If
no one has objections, I will submit a new patch that ensures the option
name is lowercase when registering, in addition to what the JIRA requires.

Thank you,
Sudheesh

Re: Option name case sensitivity?

Posted by Jason Altekruse <al...@gmail.com>.
The only argument I can think of is that configuration options that end up
being passed through to other systems may be easier to deal with if we
allow for options to be defined with any case that the underlying system
expects. If it is case-sensitive, we would have to create a map from the
Drill names to the names expected by the specific component. On the other
hand, as we already define then names to loosely follow a logical hierarchy
that makes sense for Drill, it is likely that our names won't match up
anyway, for example if e need to pass configuration down to the parquet
reader we already need to map our names like store.parquet.option_name to
the parquet option names (as they don't need to specify that the option
relates to storage or parquet in the name).

I think we can safely lowercase everything for now.

- Jason Altekruse