Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/04/02 21:21:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Dear community,

Right now, we have people who are regularly going through JIRA and triaging
tickets. This is totally fantastic, and a very valuable activity for the
project. (So thank you!) But I also notice that specific individuals are
being assigned to the tickets in the process.

This is a form of "cookie licking". The analogy is that if you fancy a
cookie, but you're too hungry right now, you take a lick of it so nobody
else can touch it. This is an anti-pattern and we should try to avoid it.

In general, I would say we should only be assigning a ticket to ourselves,
and we should only be doing that when we actually intend to sit down and
work on it.

If we have people going through and saying "well, this is clearly Joe's
area" or "this is clearly Fred's area" then that is a great way to make
sure that those areas remain "Joe's area" or "Fred's area" or whatever.
Which is unhealthy for the project.

So what I would suggest is that we consider changing the way we work here.

Ticket triage might change so that tickets are put on to component
backlogs. And engineers can switch from grabbing tickets of their "assigned
to me" report, and start looking at the "Foo feature backlog" report
instead. Selecting a ticket and assigning it *to themselves* when they are
*starting work on it*.

(This would then take the ticket off the component backlog. So the backlog
report would only display tickets that were unassigned and available to
grab.)

This would mean that all this valuable ticket triage work we're doing is
something that can benefit everyone in the project (not just people who are
already known for their contributions) and will hopefully open the
development workflow to people who are just starting out with the project,
or want to get their toes wet.

In fact, when someone comes to us and asks "how can I contribute" we can
point them at these backlogs and say "well, just grab a ticket off one of
these queues, assign it to yourself, and start working on it!" We could
make use of a "difficulty" field too, so you could sort by difficulty, and
grab one of the "easy", "medium", or "hard" tickets.

Thoughts?

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
You might want to speak to Infra about it first.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Abhi,
>
> First of all I totally agree with you on having at least our release
> manager the triaging blockers.
>
> Secondly, we need to understand the issue Noah is trying to raise. The
> issue assignment way now is surely an anti-pattern. Let's not deviate from
> the real issue Noah started with this thread.
>
> From what I understand and wanted to convey is that in an opensource
> project the development should be done by contributors and forced upon
> them.

Err, typo:
not forced upon them :)

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.
+1 to Abhi's suggestion.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 11 April 2013 04:08, Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>wrote:

> Now is it wrong to ask the community members who have expertise on UI to
> fix it, in a bid to help Chip get the release out ?

It is certainly not wrong to co-ordinate with people in an effort to ship a
release. (I would point out, however, that it is not Chip getting the
release out. It is the community. But maybe I am misinterpreting your
remark here...)

2. Assign a bug that is open for more than 3 days and none of the
> community member has shown interest in picking it up. This period can vary
> depending on how close a branch where bug is noted is close to a release.

Three days?

That is a very short period of time, when you consider the size of our JIRA
queue, and the average timespan of a ticket.

I really don't see why bugs that are not on the critical path of a release
should be assigned at all. As has already been pointed out several times in
this thread, this is an exclusionary practice which is likely to put off
new contributions to the project. It will calcify the existing structure
and roles, and will hamper CloudStack's ability to grow as a project.

I don't understand why non-critical bugs cannot be categorised into
components. And then engineers can pick up items of the component backlogs
as they become free or want to work on CloudStack. This sort of approach is
inclusionary. Anybody can go to JIRA and click on one of the component
reports, and just take a ticket, and start working on it. (Without having
to contact the person it is "assigned" to to ask if they may start on it.
Which, in reality, nobody is going to to do.)

I also reject the idea that engineers need tickets assigned to them as
either a) some sort of communication method, or b) some way to spur them
into action. Firstly, we have the mailing list as a communication method.
If you want a particular set of bugs to be worked on, or whatever, then
post a message to the list, and ask for participation. Secondly, we should
not be spurring anybody into action. This is a volunteer project, and
people contribute as and when they can. They should not be managed like an
employee would be managed. Which is why it's so important that we build
structures that are open to chaotic volunteer efforts.

If $company is employing people to work on CloudStack, and wants to spur
its employees into action around a certain feature or component, then that
is fine. But this activity must be kept away from the lists. Perhaps have
$company internal email threads where you ask people to focus on things.
Any time that activity leaks on to the list, it sends the wrong message
about how to participate in the project, and sends the wrong message about
$company's relationship to the project.

> 3. Assign or request to community for picking up a bug if it is blocking
> the work that a community member may be working on.

Again, this is presumptuous. There is no minimum level of participation. So
saying "Bob, this is your bug, so fix it, because it is blocking me" is the
wrong attitude to take. Instead, we should be using every opportunity we
have, every construct we build, as a way to invite further participation
from the community. A better approach would be to mark the bug as blocking
some other work, and then post a note to the list saying "this bug is
blocking me, can I have some help with it please?" In an email like that,
feel free to CC the engineers you expect might want to / be able to help
out, or mention them by name. But don't make a habit of saying "Bob, this
bug is blocking me, can you fix it" when you could say "this bug is
blocking me, can someone fix it? /cc Bob"

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

On 11/04/13 4:23 PM, "prasanna" <ts...@apache.org> wrote:

>>>Never would be too lenient. Maybe assign it after 7-8 days since they
>>>don't need immediate attention.
>>
>> 7-8 days is a huge time lost. I was suggesting that this to be 3 days.
>>Let
>> other community members chime in too.
>>

>Just to note: contributors will enter anytime. They don't necessarily
>know of our release roadmap when they come in looking to contribute.
>And typically they'd be looking at low hanging fruit - ie not blocker,
>criticals. If you're saying 'x days are lost' then that doesn't make
>much sense to an external contributor, x days based on what? If a bug
>is blocking someone else's progress then the person who is blocked
>should make noise on this list so the appropriate person can fix it.
>I think the issue this thread is trying to address is assignment of
>bugs in the background without community participation and/or
>knowledge.

There are two issues here a bug blocking someone and that he has the
option of using mailing list to reach out, I am in absolute agreement here.

The other is a bug is left with no taker, probably even after someone has
shouted on the mailing list that someone take it up. This is where
intelligent triaging say from the release manager will help.

I guess the work as well as the end result are equally important if not
one more. There are people who are out there waiting for a release,
definitely we do not want to disappoint them.

Also pleeezee do not distinguish between community members by trying to
come up with a notion of external or internal contributor. All of us
external members are equally passionate as internal members. All apache
releases happen as per schedule I expect any new contributor joining the
team to have access to the schedule.

>Also I don't think bugs are getting fixed immediately after assignment
>as you indicate. Bugs go between Triager 1 to Triager 2 to Developer 3
>and then Developer 3 assigns it to the Developer 4 who fixes the bug.
>Instead - Developer 4 should have got to it first or explained the
>nature of the fix if he hasn't the time to fix it. Which doesn't
>happen either. As Alex proposed, when someone takes up a bug they
>should mark it in progress so that we know work is on going. Instead
>if Triagers are just assigning bugs based on some kind of weird
>LRU-cache in their head of who's (usually $dayjob stakeholder) the
>rightful owner I find it exclusionary to community participation.

We can limit the people who can triage the bugs to say release manager(s).
When a bug goes from 1 person to another as in the example I quoted above
it just shows that it is getting closer to resolution and not just lying
there unclaimed. Again if we have a list of contributors and there area of
interests we can come up with a heuristic to assign unclaimed bugs. Again
I am saying we limit this ability to triage to release manager or his
designated team.

Please clarify what a $dayjob stakeholder is ?

>There is no contest on the bugs being assigned by the RM that are
>essential to be fixed for a release. So I agree with you on that.

Yes, I do agree, check above and that too governed by certain rules.

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

[Animesh>] We can create shared filters based on components. Folks can subscribe to the filters to be notified by email as per their schedule [1]. By default one can only create Personal Subscriptions but folks with 'Manage Group Filter Subscriptions'  privilege can set up the subscription be sent to  a group as well. I have requested INFRA to grant me the privilege, I will try it once I get the privilege and update the community on findings.

[1[]https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Receiving+Search+Results+via+Email

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

jzb@zonker.net
Twitter: @jzb
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
+1 To what Chip had to say on this thread. My use of ownership was wrong
and I actually meant "interest". I have also started on the
producingoss.com as suggested by Rohit, looks like a good way to
understand the working of a voluntary community.

So now that I am positive on the community feedback, I realise some of
these may not work in the $dayjob but a good understanding can benefit
both worlds.

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51:34PM +0000, Abhinandan Prateek wrote:
> > Yes, I think we need to space our releases further apart.
>
> That's a different discussion, which you are free to raise if you'd like.
>
> > Also community members should volunteer to own some part so that in
> above circumstances a person looking for some fix can approach that member,
> once again a suggestion.
>
> I've been reading through this thread, and I'll pick the "owner" comment
> above as a starting point for my personal opinions.  This is a reaction
> to the whole thread really, so take a minute to read to the end please.
>
> "Owning some part" is antithetical to a healthy community approach.
> Certainly people will gravitate to certain areas, and by all means
> everyone should feel free to work on areas of the code-base that they
> feel like they want to improve or support.  This may lead to people
> effectively being the primary "do-er" for certain areas (examples: Wido
> has been working on DEB packaging, Rohit has been working on
> CloudMonkey), but we shouldn't ever consider this ownership. I feel
> personally welcome to make a change in CloudMonkey, and would certainly
> consider it important to collaborate with anyone (especially Rohit) that
> may have input and insights.

Super duper +1.

I see the *feature owner/maintainer* only as person of interest around that
area and encourage contributions in whatever way and any area.

Instead of labelling things as mine or yours, being in community means we
own the whole CloudStack it as a team. So, for example I preferred to write
author as "The Apache CloudStack Team" [1] but name myself as the current
maintainer for the CLI as I've interest around that area and would like to
participate/help review/checkin any feedback/contributions and everyone is
welcome to administrate the pypi channel [1].

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudmonkey/4.1.0-snapshot

Cheers.
You should listen to Chip, read http://www.producingoss.com and follow his
tweets when he shares such awesome stuff ;)

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

 [Animesh>] +1,  that is the reason Apache projects do not use @author tag. I take back my original argument of auto-assigning based on maintainers list. I did a search but did not find any community using auto-assignment. The community argument  wins.

> All of these attempts to structure the community appear to be natural
> or otherwise), which is my background as well.  It doesn't work here, and you
> have to fight the urge to apply the same solutions (WRT structure and
> process) in this environment.  If you haven't read "Producing OSS" [1], go do
> that.
>
> What we really need is for those individuals that are interested in
> participating in this community to actively participate.  Read the ML, take on
> bugs, focus on the shared community release goals.  If you consider yourself
> interested in this project, then don't wait for assignments from someone
> else.  Watch the lists, notice areas where you can help, discuss if you disagree
> with proposed community goals as they are being formed.
>
> Personal responsibility and interest in contributing to the shared community
> goals is what we should all expect of each other. We should not expect that
> others in the community will spoon feed tasks out. If that happens within
> someone's $dayjob, that's not a community concern.
>
> You'll notice that I have rarely "assigned" a bug.  In a couple of instances, I've
> pushed something to someone that I know is *actively* working in an area of
> the code.  I've also assigned a bug as purely an administrative step, when I
> know someone is already working on the issue, but may not have had the
> time to assign the bug to themselves.  Release blockers that I don't easily
> associated with some ongoing and known work are highlighted in emails,
> with a request for someone to grab them.
>
> Releases are the shared goals of the community, but building a strong
> community is more important than any specific release.  That's why this
> conversation started really.
>
> So yes, I want blockers to be addressed.  Yes, I want us to get our releases
> out.  Yes, I'd like us to be close to our proposed schedules.
> No, I'm not willing to have a release take priority over the more important
> goal of building a stronger and stronger community.

[Animesh>] +1 I have read [1] cover to cover a few times already but looks like it is taking in longer to sink in but I think I will get there.

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.
On 11 April 2013 20:09, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51:34PM +0000, Abhinandan Prateek wrote:
>> Yes, I think we need to space our releases further apart.
>
> That's a different discussion, which you are free to raise if you'd like.
>
>> Also community members should volunteer to own some part so that in above circumstances a person looking for some fix can approach that member, once again a suggestion.
>
> I've been reading through this thread, and I'll pick the "owner" comment
> above as a starting point for my personal opinions.  This is a reaction
> to the whole thread really, so take a minute to read to the end please.
>
> "Owning some part" is antithetical to a healthy community approach.
> Certainly people will gravitate to certain areas, and by all means
> everyone should feel free to work on areas of the code-base that they
> feel like they want to improve or support.  This may lead to people
> effectively being the primary "do-er" for certain areas (examples: Wido
> has been working on DEB packaging, Rohit has been working on
> CloudMonkey), but we shouldn't ever consider this ownership. I feel
> personally welcome to make a change in CloudMonkey, and would certainly
> consider it important to collaborate with anyone (especially Rohit) that
> may have input and insights.
>
> The idea of ownership if a part of the software is something I'm strongly
> against.
>
> Even the idea of maintainers seems like it is problematic in
> implementation.  How do we decide who the "official" maintainer is?  How
> do we decide when someone else should do that... And frankly, doesn't a
> "maintainer" model really discourage others from working in named areas?
>
> All of these attempts to structure the community appear to be natural
> or otherwise), which is my background as well.  It doesn't work here,
> and you have to fight the urge to apply the same solutions (WRT
> structure and process) in this environment.  If you haven't read
> "Producing OSS" [1], go do that.

And if you don't have the patience, here's the appropriate extract:
http://www.producingoss.com/en/managing-volunteers.html#delegation-assignment

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Yes, I think we need to space our releases further apart.
I had big trouble when master was unstable for a while and specially on VMware it was difficult to deploy and test features. Yes for each issue I could have shouted on mail list I saw people doing that but the fact is that instability was around for a while. Doesn't it make sense that in such scenarios we could do things in a more pro active manner. Again I donot see much difference in asking someone on Jira to pick a issue vs sending a email, but will agree to whatever the community decides here.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
+1

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 11 April 2013 15:11, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:

> I'm against a policy of never assigning tickets, but it shouldn't be the
> norm for one set of folks to triage tickets and assign them to another
> set of folks.

Me too.

We should establish:

 a) A rule that we avoid ticket assignment by default, and
 b) A clear set of exceptions to that rule...

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013, at 05:22 AM, Abhinandan Prateek wrote:
> >Never would be too lenient. Maybe assign it after 7-8 days since they
> >don't need immediate attention.
>
> 7-8 days is a huge time lost. I was suggesting that this to be 3 days.
> Let other community members chime in too.

Are we assuming that a bug is going to be closed as soon as it's
assigned?

Why does the bug need to be assigned rather than picked up, if the
person who'd get the issue has the time to take it on?

One of the things we're trying to avoid is having queues of issues
backed up assigned to specific folks, which puts off potential
contributors who might claim the ticket if it was unassigned.

Another thing we're trying to avoid is the mentality that bugs have to
be assigned rather than picked up by the individual developer.

I'm against a policy of never assigning tickets, but it shouldn't be the
norm for one set of folks to triage tickets and assign them to another
set of folks.

> >A community member should always have an interest area within CS and
> >he/she subscribes to it. IF a bug is opened in that area he/she should be
> >notified (yeah we can set rules in our email client).

This is assuming people are dedicated to working on CloudStack as a
$dayjob, really. We shouldn't make that assumption.

Best,

jzb

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
+1 with slight modifications :)

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013, at 02:35 AM, Abhinandan Prateek wrote:
> I think if you were wrongly assigned bug that you did not want to work on
> just spit it in the mailing list and you will not be guilty of cookie
> licking.
>
> Given the huge number bugs lets focus on how to reduce that pile instead
> of raking up non issues.

It's not a non-issue. When people see bugs assigned to a person, they're
less likely to go ahead and take it.

I think we need to find a middle path where:

* Everyone is pro-active in reviewing bugs that are in their area, and
not depending on a having bugs assigned before they work on them.

* We don't have a ridiculous number of bugs assigned to people where
they may not get to those bugs for weeks - when someone else might
conceivably work on them, but be put off because they think "Oh, Random
J. Programmer already has that."

* We can assign bugs when it does make sense, without there being an
absolute rule against assigning bugs to people when common sense
dictates otherwise.

* Can we stop talking about cookies unless somebody is going to send me
a few? I like homemade chocolate chip.

Mmmm. Cookies.

Best,

jzb

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Hi Abhi,

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Got it. Thanks! :)

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
When you say it's understandable that people being paid to work on
CloudStack full time engage in cookie licking, do you mean to say you think
it is acceptable? Or do you believe we should be working to prevent it?

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:44:37PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 01:32:58PM -0700, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> > > [Animesh>] Folks I wanted to get your opinion on auto-assignment
> > > based on the component maintainers list. We can also create shared
> > > issues filters based on components. Folks can subscribe to the
> > > filters of interest and receive daily email notification.
> >
> > I have no opinion and am okay whichever way - auto-assign/unassigned.
> > But these workflows should be _*clearly*_ mentioned to contributors
> > and where they will go looking for them - wiki, website etc.
> >

> A non-sponsored new/old (casual/hippie) contributor would try to search
> among unassigned issues, while managers/developers/committers whose $dayjob
> allows them to work on ACS fulltime will tend to do 'cookie lickin' which
> is understandable and will assure that someone gets the privilege to work
> on it and their employers will make sure the task would be done :)

I don't think of it as a privilege. Several companies are working
on/contributing to/using CloudStack. I'd think a 'hippie' would have
less to lose if a bug isn't fixed in time as compared to someone
actually facing that bug in production. And it's in the interest of
that person to fix/have the bug fixed. If you do see bugs being held
without any progress /update on JIRA then I say snatch that cookie and
eat it. I'm not promoting holding on to bugs at all! :)

> I would prefer an environment where every contributor (sponsored or
> otherwise) would assign the tickets themselves, and unassign if they cannot
> do it or don't have time/resources for it.

I've always wanted this to happen. I think it's wasteful to have
someone dedicated to look at the tickets for you. People are much
smarter than having to look at JIRA filters and tickets that *might*
interest you. And it's perfectly alright for someone to fix the issue
that is assigned to me as well. I'm happy if someone fixes a bug
that's assigned to me :)

> We've already seen several occasions where someone assigns an issue to
> someone and we see cycle of assignments because the "assigner" had no clue
> about the issue or did not really know who would could really resolve the
> issue. Just saying.

This likely is because 'someone' wasn't aware of who was able
to/available for fixing the issue. CloudStack spans a lot of modules
and it's not easy to figure out who broke what. I've only assigned
bugs to folks that I know for sure will be the right person to fix the
issue. And that person was not necessarily a committer. I've assigned
bugs to contributors too to help promote them to committer through
more patch submissions.

--
Prasanna.,

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

On 09/04/13 11:57 AM, "Prasanna Santhanam" <ts...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 01:32:58PM -0700, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
>> [Animesh>] Folks I wanted to get your opinion on auto-assignment
>> based on the component maintainers list. We can also create shared
>> issues filters based on components. Folks can subscribe to the
>> filters of interest and receive daily email notification.
>
>I have no opinion and am okay whichever way - auto-assign/unassigned.
>But these workflows should be _*clearly*_ mentioned to contributors
>and where they will go looking for them - wiki, website etc.

+1. I am fine either way as well. Perhaps the new folks can communicate
their interest areas as well.

>Triaging and assigning issues at the time of release to
>contributors/committers by the Release Manager shouldn't be a problem
>at all as long as it's communicated (as Chip did for the RC bugs)

I think we would need to triage them very close to release especially the
blockers and critical ones, but can have a little more relaxed norm
for other priority issues.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
> I understand the reasoning - but for a newcomer looking to get involved, I
> think 'assigning' a bug - whether by default, or otherwise can be construed as
> excluding newcomers and no room for them to get involved, so I think it
> warrants caution at a minimum.
>
> Our 'if not 'in progress' anyone can grab it' does not seem to be the norm for
> open source projects.
>
> I also wonder if it makes a difference. Perhaps it does. In other projects I've
> been involved in, when I care about releases or just the project, I tend to
> watch the categories of bugs that I can fix, particularly the unassigned items.
> Does having a backlog of work assigned to me (as opposed to checking a
> component in Jira for outstanding work) improve things somehow? I don't
> know, perhaps it does and there is something I am missing.

I want to first establish that we should do what's right for this community.  We should use other open source projects as a reference but we shouldn't just do whatever others are doing.

With that said, I think Jira is just a much better project management tool than what's available before.  We should use these workflows as much as possible to communicate what a release needs.  It's almost like git vs svn.  For many years, almost all open source projects use svn and linux is the only one that uses git but now you hardly hear of new projects say they're using svn anymore.  Apache was almost exclusively on bugzilla and jira before.  From what I can see, Cloudstack was one of the first to bring these into Apache and CloudStack can be one of the first to bring better patterns to apache as well.

Cloud is the future and cloudstack should use tools and patterns fit for the future.  Jira has a superior workflow for us to utilize.  We should utilize it when it comes to bug triage and release management.

--Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
> So let me start off with I agree in principle with what Noah is talking about here.  Cookie licking is an anti-pattern that we should reject as a community.  However, I disagree the solution or even what is perceived as cookie licking.
>
> We established a while ago as a community that we follow a Jira workflow in handling bugs.  In that process, a bug is Open until it goes to "In Progress".  We can simply tweak our expectations on this workflow to achieve exactly the desired effects.
>
> - Assign bugs does not mean you own it, even if you assign it to yourself doesn't mean you own it.
> - No one owns a bug until the person assigned changed it to In Progress (not licked til this stage)
> - Before a bug goes into In Progress, anyone can grab it.
>
> By doing this we allow people who can help in prioritizing the bugs to assign bugs without going through another layer of negotiation.  Assigning bugs merely means asking the question "can you work on it".  This would be much more efficient way of doing things.
>
> I also think that we can setup public filters that people can use to find bugs they can work on.  In the filter, it doesn't look at who the bug is assigned to.  Just whether the bug is open or not.
>
> --Alex

I understand the reasoning - but for a newcomer looking to get
involved, I think 'assigning' a bug - whether by default, or otherwise
can be construed as excluding newcomers and no room for them to get
involved, so I think it warrants caution at a minimum.

Our 'if not 'in progress' anyone can grab it' does not seem to be the
norm for open source projects.

I also wonder if it makes a difference. Perhaps it does. In other
projects I've been involved in, when I care about releases or just the
project, I tend to watch the categories of bugs that I can fix,
particularly the unassigned items. Does having a backlog of work
assigned to me (as opposed to checking a component in Jira for
outstanding work) improve things somehow? I don't know, perhaps it
does and there is something I am missing.

I do think triaging is important - there are simply too many bugs to
not have some ongoing triage, make sure the proper component,
severity, etc is set, perhaps even doing some initial prompting for
enough information.

--David

RE: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.