Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Praveen Peddi <pp...@contextmedia.com> on 2004/07/13 23:30:15 UTC

wierd error in weblogic due to lucene

Hello,
I am seeing wierd problem with weblogic when I have lot of data in lucene. Wehave a concept of content objects and each content object maps to a lucene document. We tested with 500K objects and lucene even though indexed fine, was creating problems while searching.

When we spawned 25 searches at the same time on weblogic app server, weblogic started un deploying the application. Its wierd, isn't it?

The reason I think lucene is causing this problem is, the root exception given by weblogic is related to number of files open (see below for the exception).

Did anyone see this problem before? Is lucene capable of handling 500K documents?

Why would lucene un deploy the application

<Jul 12, 2004 3:09:56 PM PDT> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <000204> <Failed to
listen on port 7001, failure count: 1, failing for 0 seconds,
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files>
<Jul 12, 2004 3:09:56 PM PDT> <Notice> <Application Poller> <149401> <Removing
application: interchange>
<Jul 12, 2004 3:09:57 PM PDT> <Notice> <Application Poller> <149404> <Remove
application interchange on suntestadmin - Running>
<Jul 12, 2004 3:09:57 PM PDT> <Notice> <WebLogicServer> <000205> <After having
failed to listen, the server is now listening on port 7001>
<Jul 12, 2004 3:09:59 PM PDT> <Notice> <Application Poller> <149404> <Remove
application interchange on suntestadmin - Running>

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Praveen

Praveen Peddi
Sr Software Engg, Context Media, Inc.
email:ppeddi@contextmedia.com
Tel:  401.854.3475
Fax:  401.861.3596
web: http://www.contextmedia.com
Context Media- "The Leader in Enterprise Content Integration"

Re: wierd error in weblogic due to lucene

Posted by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de>.
On Tuesday 13 July 2004 23:30, Praveen Peddi wrote:

> The reason I think lucene is causing this problem is, the root exception
> given by weblogic is related to number of files open (see below for the
> exception).

Are you sure you close all Lucene IndexReaders/Writers/Searchers? It's best
to close them in a finally block so they get closed even when an exception
is thrown. The number of files shouldn't be the problem. Although you
could of course try with the compound index if your are not using that
already (IndexWriter.setUsecompoundFile()).

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de