Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Toni Soliva <so...@e-servenet.com> on 2003/05/27 16:21:03 UTC

[beanutils]DynaProperty readable/writeable information and PropertyUtils

Hi everybody,

I am intending to use classes from org.apache.commons.beanutils.* in a web application replacing old code of mine with a similar functionality. In that context I noticed that the class DynaProperty has no method to access the information if a property is read/write, read only or write only, which is an information I would like to have in my application. The class PropertyUtils also assumes all properties of DynaBeans to be read/write properties.

If the DynaBeans family of classes should be as near as possible in its semantics to the java beans standard it seems to me, that it might be advantageous to have the information about the readability/writeability of the single properties available either via methods in DynaProperty or via PropertyUtils. Typical examples for the usefulness of such information are e.g. the WrapDynaBean (is there a set-method?) or DynaBeans dealing with JDBC result sets (is the result set updatable?).  In case of standard java beans this information is available through the java.beans.PropertyDescriptor.

Is this information ommited by design or did nobody have the requirement? Any comments on adding access to the readable/writeable information to the API?

I am referring to BeanUtils 1.6.1 and a search in the list archive did not turn up information about this issue.

Of course I would be happy  to contribute code if so desired.

Toni

Re: [beanutils]DynaProperty readable/writeable information and PropertyUtils

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
that sounds great. good patches make everything so much easier :)

- robert

Posted by Toni Soliva <so...@e-servenet.com>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.