Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> on 2007/01/15 13:39:06 UTC

SOA Scenarios

Hi,
There have been a number of postings about scenarios. For example:

   - In July http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg04490.html
   about JSF using Tuscany
   - In Nov
   http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-user@ws.apache.org/msg00319.htmlas
part of the what next for C++
   - More recently
   http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-user@ws.apache.org/msg00416.htmland
   - http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg12818.html

Would it be useful to document and maintain a set of scenarios that Tuscany
does/will support?

These could be used to validate and help guide what get developed, rather
than relying "what next ?" postings (more permentant record). It could also
be used to help identify complexity and completeness. Lastley it might also
make it clearer to differenticate Tuscany from similar projects. Perhaps a
way to kick off would be to start gathering some user stories (rather than
more abstract scenarios)

WDYT ?

Cheers,
Dan

Re: SOA Scenarios

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Kelvin,

Sorry for the confusion... I was thinking of user stories in the agile / xp
sense which are/could be scenarios.

The reason I mentioned "abstract scenario" was to avoid a scenario that runs
along the lines of "develop a service component" and instead go for a more
specific (concrete scenario/) user story of "develop a service component
using Java" - perhaps I should not have mentioned this unless it happened.

My, unexplained thinking, was it might become apparent that not all things
need to be done in all languages/runtimes. This could help avoid writing
code that is not (currently at least) wanted. For example is there a need
for the C++ runtime to host a component written in Java ? It would be easier
to enable a C++ runtime to use IPC/WS to invoke/compose a Java component
rather than having the C++ runtime launch a JVM (IMHO).

Apologies for the confusion & thanks for pointing keeping me true :)
Dan

Re: SOA Scenarios

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: SOA Scenarios

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
My $0.2.... Once we define the scenario and go trough the actually go
through  design, develop, build, install, run and debug it and manage the
steps, could we create a blog about it ? Something like those guys that go
on a journey and blog each steps ? I think this might be interesting to
people that would work on their own scenarios in their business or for
pleasure.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: SOA Scenarios

Re: SOA Scenarios

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Dan Murphy wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer Ray,
>
> It looks like a great start... Do you (all) think we should assume SCA is
> being used/ the desired solution ?
> The scenarios would, I hope, show how SCA helps solve a problem,
> though they
> could be useful to see if/where SCA has gaps and where Tuscany can
> provide
> value beyond being a pure SCA implementation.
>
> I was thinking : Technology independent scenario -> to how/if SCA &
> Tuscany
> supports it -> example(s) of how to do it
>
> This could help identify any SCA/Tuscany gap and help give Tuscany
> developers an indication of the complexity of performing a task /
> solving a
> problem. For example, if we discover that to perform a scenario using
> Tuscany required 39 steps and multiple decision points it might be a good
> area for simplification (or failing that tools).
>
> However, if the consensus is that SCA is the starting then I'm happy
> to go
> along with this. WDYT ?
>
> Cheers,
> Dan
>
> On 16/01/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I think it would be useful to define a set of SOA scenarios that
>> Tusany is
>> developed to support. Overtime, these senarios can be implemented using
>> Tuscany and become part of the integration suite. We can use them as one
>> way
>> to measure the functional completeness for Tuscany.
>>
>> FYI: There are some initial efforts documented at the following wiki
>> page:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/Scenarios
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raymond

I think it would be very valuable to pick a not too complex scenario in
the eBusiness or Web 2.0 category for example and actually go through
the steps to design, develop, build, install, run and debug it, manage
it. You will probably find holes, user experience pain points and
possible improvements. Documenting this and reporting the problems you
find as JIRA issues will be very valuable IMO and will help the Tuscany
community define a clear roadmap for the project.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: SOA Scenarios

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.