Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Martin Ayotte <ma...@videotron.ca> on 2003/06/15 01:11:18 UTC

Quick question about "svnadmin dump"

Hi again folks !

Here is a scenario :

- I have a master repository in the path /Svn-Repository
- I do 2 backups repos respectively in /SvnBackup and /SvnBackup2 using the
following command :
	svnadmin dump /Svn-Repository/ | svnadmin load --force-uuid /SvnBackup/
- Then, I do again "svnadmin dump" commands on each into text file :
	svnadmin dump /Svn-Repository > dump1
	svnadmin dump /SvnBackup  > dump2
	svnadmin dump /SvnBackup 2 > dump3
- Then, I do diffs to verify integrity, and I found that dump of the master
repository is not in the same order then the restore one :
	diff dump2 dump3 	(compare Ok)
	diff dump1 dump2 	(compare failed)
	diff dump1 dump3 	(compare failed)

All the revisions are the same, but they are not in the same order in the
master repos,
Is there some things I should do to make the revisions appearing in the same
order in the master dump ?
If not, can we add a switch to make sure "svnadmin dump" order revisions
always in the same way ?

Thanks !

RE: Quick question about "svnadmin dump"

Posted by Martin Ayotte <ma...@videotron.ca>.
Yeah ! :-)

So, since new dumps will be in predictable order, we will be able to do
sanity checks on every repos backups !

Thanks a lot, Cmpilato !

I love SVN ! :-)

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Martin Ayotte <ma...@videotron.ca>.
Very Nice Tool ! :-)

Thanks Cmpilato ! Thanks Ben !

(I've even used it thru pipe : svnadmin dump | normalize-dump.py >
ordered_revlog )

I presume it will be part of the 0.24 drops ... :-)

Do you think it will be embedded later in svnadmin as an option to dump
command ?
(I mean, just as you mention : sorting summary but aloong with actual dump
of the revisions)

Tourlou !

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Martin Ayotte <ma...@videotron.ca> writes:

> All the revisions are the same, but they are not in the same order in the
> master repos,

Correct.  When you ask libsvn_fs to list the children of a directory,
they are listed in a pseudo-random order.  That's what happens when
you iterate over a hash.

> Is there some things I should do to make the revisions appearing in the same
> order in the master dump ?

Yes.  :-)