Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Dave <Da...@janetdev.org> on 2008/12/02 19:35:04 UTC

[general] Ja.NET SE OSS Project

Hi All,
I just wanted to take a minute and bring your attention to an OSS project,
based on Harmony, I recently started .... Ja.NET (www.janetdev.org).

I am building a Java 5 JDK for .NET (i.e. Ja.NET SE), and I am using
Harmony, along with other open source software (e.g. Eclipse compiler,
Mono, etc.) as the basis for the work.  The goal of the project is to
create the development tools and libraries that will enable Java to become
a "first class" development and runtime environment for .NET. The Ja.NET SE
JDK project is the first thing I have kicked off.  The hope is, at some
point in the "very near future", :-), the Ja.NET SE JDK will give
developers all the Java development tools they need to develop software in
Java for the .NET platform.  For example, the Java development tools would
enable someone to take existing Java source code (e.g. Ant, Xerces,
Eclipse, etc.) and easily build it, enhance it with new .NET specific
features, integrate it with other .NET code and libraries (e.g. C#, VB.NET,
WPF, etc.), and then ultimately use/run it on .NET.

I'm making pretty good progress THANKS TO YOU and the great work you have
done in building Harmony. Without your effort, I'd be a long way from where
I am today!  So here is a big THANK YOU for all your hard work and
dedication to open source Java.

I look forward to working with you where/when it makes sense, and hope that
I can contribute in some small way to the success of Harmony in the
future....

Best regards,

-Dave

Re: [general] Ja.NET SE OSS Project

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Dave <Da...@janetdev.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just wanted to take a minute and bring your attention to an OSS project,
> based on Harmony, I recently started .... Ja.NET (www.janetdev.org).
>
> I am building a Java 5 JDK for .NET (i.e. Ja.NET SE), and I am using
> Harmony, along with other open source software (e.g. Eclipse compiler,
> Mono, etc.) as the basis for the work.  The goal of the project is to
> create the development tools and libraries that will enable Java to become
> a "first class" development and runtime environment for .NET. The Ja.NET SE
> JDK project is the first thing I have kicked off.  The hope is, at some
> point in the "very near future", :-), the Ja.NET SE JDK will give
> developers all the Java development tools they need to develop software in
> Java for the .NET platform.  For example, the Java development tools would
> enable someone to take existing Java source code (e.g. Ant, Xerces,
> Eclipse, etc.) and easily build it, enhance it with new .NET specific
> features, integrate it with other .NET code and libraries (e.g. C#, VB.NET,
> WPF, etc.), and then ultimately use/run it on .NET.

This is cool!

Dave, what's the technology approach you are taking for Ja.NET JDK?
Does it compile Java code into CLR bytecode running on Mono? I can't
find any document in your website about it.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com

Re: [general] Ja.NET SE OSS Project

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:53 AM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> That sounds cool Dave -- good luck with the project, and be sure to pass
> on any bugs/successes you have with the Harmony code.

+1
Dave, Welcome to Harmony ;-)

--
Tony Wu