Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by DNI Support Department <su...@dynamicnet.net> on 2005/03/11 14:57:16 UTC

Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Greetings:

If we disable network tests by using "--local" in our start up of spamd,
spam assassin averages 0.1 to 0.3 seconds per email to process its rules.

If we enable network tests, then spam assassin averages 11 to 15 seconds
per email to process its rules.

Of all the network tests, we find SURBL -- http://www.surbl.org/ -- to be
the most productive.

Is there a way to enable network tests for just SURBL (we have a local,
kept up to date with rsync, copy)?

Thank you.
Peter M. Abraham
Support and Customer Care Department
Dynamic Net, Inc.
Helping companies do business on the Net
420 Park Road; Suite 201
Wyomissing  PA  19610
Toll Free Voice:	1-888-887-6727
International:		1-610-736-3795
FAX:			1-610-736-3798
Support Email:		support@dynamicnet.net
Company Email:	solutions@dynamicnet.net
Web:			http://www.dynamicnet.net/
			http://www.wemanageservers.com/

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
A friend who wishes to remain anonymous forwarded me this patch
and note:

> Jeff, Saw the thread on sa-users list about using SURBL without other
> networks
>
> Attached is a ugly patch which I think might do the trick.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, March 11, 2005, 9:53:19 AM, DNI Department wrote:
> Greetings:

> SURBL does not appear to work with network tests totally disabled (i.e.
> using --local in the spamd startup).

It may be worth noting that disabling network tests at the
command line with --local and "skip_rbl_checks 1" inside
the configs may not produce the same results.  The former may
disable all network tests (including Razor, DCC, RBLs, SURBLs,
etc.), while the latter may disable only RBL checks.

Also Stuart Johnston's comment about the scoring being affected
by having network tests disabled is important.  IIRC there is
a matrix of 4 possible scores, with and without Bayes and with
and without network tests.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, March 11, 2005, 9:57:45 AM, Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Are you running a caching name server locally on the machine? This helps
> alot in reducing the DNS traffic for RBLs and URI RBL's.

> I normally process emails in under 2 seconds using couple of RBL's,
> pyzor and all of the subl.org URI lookups.

I believe they are using rsynced local zone files.  (I'm hoping
they're using rbldnsd since it's so much faster and more
efficient than BIND.)

  http://www3.surbl.org/rsync-signup.html

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, March 11, 2005, 11:31:34 AM, DNI Department wrote:
> We have rbldnsd running of a private IP with BIND/DNS forwarding calls to
> the various SURBL lists to that name server.  We are approved to rsync the
> data from surbl; and that's been working well.

> Our primary mail server is on a physical server running several network
> applications besides mail; we will be moving it to its own physical server
> in a few months; hopefully then we can match your under 2 second benchmark.

Sounds good.  :-)

> On a side note, we are a paid spamcop.net subscriber; and we do report all
> spam to spamcop (under 8 hour average reporting time); so we do what we can
> to prevent spam in the first place.

Definitely use SpamCop.  SpamCop reports go into their RBL, and
the spamvertised sites detected in spam message body URIs go into
sc.surbl.org, where they're highly effective at detecting future
pam.

I would definitely encourage everyone to use SpamCop.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by DNI Support Department <su...@dynamicnet.net>.
Greetings Martin:

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.

DNI Support Department wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> SURBL does not appear to work with network tests totally disabled (i.e.
> using --local in the spamd startup).
>
> No network tests:
>
>         0.1 to 0.6 seconds to score emails as spam or ham
>         Approximately 90% accuracy on tagging spam correctly
>         Approximately 2% false positives tagging ham as spam
>
> Network tests (for SURBL)
>         11.0 to over 16 seconds to score emails as spam or ham
>         Approximately 95% accuracy on tagging spam correctly
>         Approximately 1 to 2% false positives tagging ham as spam
>
> Thanks to input from this mailing list, we've disabled almost all of the
> network tests.
>
> This has helped tremendously brining the scoring time down to an average
> of 3 to 4 seconds per email with the range of times from 0.4 seconds to
> 8 seconds.
>
> Thank you.
>
> At 12:40 PM 3/11/2005, you wrote:

>> local,
>>
>> > One possible problem with doing this is that it will switch you to the
>> > network score sets giving you lower scores for other tests.  Without
>> the
>> > other network tests to balance things out, you may end up with lower
>> > scores overall.
>>
>> Or you could boost the SURBL scores, or lower your spam
>> threshold.  :-)
>>
>> Jeff C.
>> --
>> Jeff Chan
>> mailto:jeffc@surbl.org
>> http://www.surbl.org/

> Peter M. Abraham
> Support and Customer Care Department
> Dynamic Net, Inc.
> Helping companies do business on the Net
> 420 Park Road; Suite 201
> Wyomissing  PA  19610
> Toll Free Voice:    1-888-887-6727
> International:        1-610-736-3795
> FAX:            1-610-736-3798
> Support Email:        support@dynamicnet.net
> Company Email:    solutions@dynamicnet.net
> Web:            http://www.dynamicnet.net/
>             http://www.wemanageservers.com/

the system manager.

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by DNI Support Department <su...@dynamicnet.net>.
Greetings:

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, March 11, 2005, 7:51:45 AM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Friday, March 11, 2005, 7:48:26 AM, Vivek Khera wrote:

>> in your preferences file,

>> skip_rbl_checks 1

>> will turn off the RBL checks but leave SURBL checks on.

>> Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
>> +1-301-869-4449 x806

> Hmm, but is that a good thing or an inconsistency?  In any case
> setting the scores of the regular RBL checks to 0 will definitely
> do the right thing, and is arguably safer.

I.e., in terms of networking the DNS queries, shouldn't SURBLs
and RBLs be handled similarly?  The actual DNS lookups against
the lists are pretty similar, aside from the lack of needing to
resolve the wild domains into IPs first when using SURBLs.

(This is a question for the developers really.  :-)

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Is it possible to use SURBL without enabling all network tests?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Vivek Khera <vi...@khera.org>.

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

> If we disable network tests by using "--local" in our start up of spamd, spam
> assassin averages 0.1 to 0.3 seconds per email to process its rules.
>
> If we enable network tests, then spam assassin averages 11 to 15 seconds per
> email to process its rules.
>
> Of all the network tests, we find SURBL -- http://www.surbl.org/ -- to be the
> most productive.
>
> Is there a way to enable network tests for just SURBL (we have a local, kept
> up to date with rsync, copy)?

You can score the other lookups at 0, so they will be skipped.

Bye,
Raymond.