Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Bjoern Teipel <bj...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/18 05:51:43 UTC

KVM storage questions

Hi admins,

do you want to share what kind of storage you use in connection for CSTK
4.2.1 ?
I guess most of you is using NFS but myself is forced to use CLVM since I
have a iscsi flash based storage system available. This is also the reason
why I contact you, I personally find CLVM clunky, error prone and dead lock
heavy. Who is using CLVM in production and what kind of cluster config do
you use ?
I'm still trying to find out if I don't switch to NFS to avoid all upcoming
CLVM and ldm locking issues.
Maybe some of you are using OCFS, which I used few years ago with limited
success.

Thanks
Bjoern

Re: KVM storage questions

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Le 18/03/2014 09:11, Nux! a ecrit :
> On 18.03.2014 04:51, Bjoern Teipel wrote:
>> Hi admins,
>>
>> do you want to share what kind of storage you use in connection for CSTK
>> 4.2.1 ?
>> I guess most of you is using NFS but myself is forced to use CLVM
>> since I
>> have a iscsi flash based storage system available. This is also the
>> reason
>> why I contact you, I personally find CLVM clunky, error prone and
>> dead lock
>> heavy. Who is using CLVM in production and what kind of cluster
>> config do
>> you use ?
>> I'm still trying to find out if I don't switch to NFS to avoid all
>> upcoming
>> CLVM and ldm locking issues.
>> Maybe some of you are using OCFS, which I used few years ago with
>> limited
>> success.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bjoern
>
> Hi,
>
> I do not use CLVM in production (yet), but tests faired well (CentOS
> 6.5, 2 nodes).
> If you want to use SAN with KVM I'm afraid it's about the only
> reasonable option. GFS2 is slow, OCFS is slow and hard to get (unless
> you use Oracle's distro), both introduce a lot of complexity.
> CLVM is also what XenServer is using behind the scenes when you add
> "SAN" storage to it, AFAIK.
> Here's my 2 node cluster.conf, not much fencing so don't use in
> production:
> http://fpaste.org/86257/51337291/raw/

I've a CLVM in a small production environment which runs with success
(since 1 year) (currently CS 4.2.1 / KVM / Centos 6.4)

Fencing is important in production. In my environment, we use ipmi tool
to restart a node if a issue is detected. (via iDrac/Dell svrs)
See slide 7 on Marcus document
http://fr.slideshare.net/MarcusLSorensen/cloud-stack-clvm

Re: KVM storage questions

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 18.03.2014 04:51, Bjoern Teipel wrote:
> Hi admins,
>
> do you want to share what kind of storage you use in connection for
> CSTK
> 4.2.1 ?
> I guess most of you is using NFS but myself is forced to use CLVM
> since I
> have a iscsi flash based storage system available. This is also the
> reason
> why I contact you, I personally find CLVM clunky, error prone and dead
> lock
> heavy. Who is using CLVM in production and what kind of cluster config
> do
> you use ?
> I'm still trying to find out if I don't switch to NFS to avoid all
> upcoming
> CLVM and ldm locking issues.
> Maybe some of you are using OCFS, which I used few years ago with
> limited
> success.
>
> Thanks
> Bjoern

Hi,

I do not use CLVM in production (yet), but tests faired well (CentOS
6.5, 2 nodes).
If you want to use SAN with KVM I'm afraid it's about the only
reasonable option. GFS2 is slow, OCFS is slow and hard to get (unless
you use Oracle's distro), both introduce a lot of complexity.
CLVM is also what XenServer is using behind the scenes when you add
"SAN" storage to it, AFAIK.
Here's my 2 node cluster.conf, not much fencing so don't use in
production:
http://fpaste.org/86257/51337291/raw/

Check also
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Cluster_Administration/s1-creating-cluster-cli-CA.html

Personally I will start production with local storage and take it from
there. Also, there is support for CEPH and starting with 4.4 (so later
this year) there will native GlusterFS support in ACS.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: KVM storage questions

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 18.03.2014 04:51, Bjoern Teipel wrote:
> Hi admins,
>
> do you want to share what kind of storage you use in connection for
> CSTK
> 4.2.1 ?
> I guess most of you is using NFS but myself is forced to use CLVM
> since I
> have a iscsi flash based storage system available. This is also the
> reason
> why I contact you, I personally find CLVM clunky, error prone and dead
> lock
> heavy. Who is using CLVM in production and what kind of cluster config
> do
> you use ?
> I'm still trying to find out if I don't switch to NFS to avoid all
> upcoming
> CLVM and ldm locking issues.
> Maybe some of you are using OCFS, which I used few years ago with
> limited
> success.
>
> Thanks
> Bjoern