Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by gorillacommunications <le...@gorillacommunications.com> on 2002/05/15 22:53:57 UTC

upgrading to Cocoon2 and debugging

Hi all.

I am upgrading an application from Cocoon1 to Cocoon2 and am
having some problems. I get the error "Exception in creating Transform
Handler:
java.lang.NullPointerException".

1. I created a pipeline in sitemap.xmap, but are there any special things I
must do to my XML and XSL files to upgrade?

2. How do I see meaningful debugging info? I looked in the archive
and think I have the settings correct in web.xml and logkit.xconf, but
I see no info in any of the logs for this application (other applications
dump output to the logs). At least Cocoon1 would write a message
to the console telling me what the parser choked on (I read in
the archive that this message is caused by an error in the XSL).

Thanks for any help.
Leona Slepetis

RE: upgrading to Cocoon2 and debugging

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: gorillacommunications [mailto:leona@gorillacommunications.com]
>
> Hi all.
>
> I am upgrading an application from Cocoon1 to Cocoon2 and am
> having some problems. I get the error "Exception in creating Transform
> Handler:
> java.lang.NullPointerException".

Usually this means you have an error in the XSLT. See logs.

> 1. I created a pipeline in sitemap.xmap, but are there any special
things I
> must do to my XML and XSL files to upgrade?
>
> 2. How do I see meaningful debugging info? I looked in the archive
> and think I have the settings correct in web.xml and logkit.xconf, but
> I see no info in any of the logs for this application (other
applications
> dump output to the logs). At least Cocoon1 would write a message
> to the console telling me what the parser choked on (I read in
> the archive that this message is caused by an error in the XSL).

Log files location is WEB-INF/logs, as Artur said.

Vadim

Posted by Artur Bialecki <ar...@digitalfairway.com>.
Porting from Cocoon1 to Cocoon2 is
like converting a gorilla to a submarine.
If your project is small than I would read up
on Cocoon2, rethink your approach and start from
scratch, otherwise read on.

   This is not enough info

> 1. I created a pipeline in sitemap.xmap, but are there any special things I
> must do to my XML and XSL files to upgrade?

There a quite a few change you have to do to XMLs.
tag libs request, response, etc. are now xsp-request, xsp-response,
etc. Also their namespace uris have changed so now you must have:
<xsp:page language="java"
   xmlns:xsp-request="http://apache.org/xsp/request/2.0">
and same for response, etc.

If you used xspCurrentNode and its friends than you have to
rewrite your XMLs to use SAX contentHandler instead.

The fp taglib is not in C2, other taglibs have changed too.

If your XMLs did redirection or changed stylesheets on the fly
than you might need to write some Actions.

> 2. How do I see meaningful debugging info? I looked in the archive
> and think I have the settings correct in web.xml and logkit.xconf, but
> I see no info in any of the logs for this application (other applications
> dump output to the logs). At least Cocoon1 would write a message
> to the console telling me what the parser choked on (I read in
> the archive that this message is caused by an error in the XSL).

  there are sitemap.log error.log core.log and access.log probably
in your deployed apps WEB-INF/logs. Look there.

Artur...