Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Manish <mp...@paycom.net> on 2001/05/07 20:43:37 UTC

Poolman

Hi All,

I am using poolman 2.1 for connection pooling. The connection pooling
seems to be working fine, but the only problem I seem to be having is
that my total connections grow very rapidly. And also the connections
used grow at the same pace. I always have 1 or 2 connections available.
Could anyone tell me the possible reason for that. Here is my poolman.xml

<poolman>

<datasource>

<!-- ============================== -->
<!-- Physical Connection Attributes -->
<!-- ============================== -->

<!-- Standard JDBC Driver info -->

<dbname>proddb-cache</dbname>
<jndiName>jndi-epochdb-cache</jndiName>

<driver>com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver</driver>
<!-- <driver>com.sybase.jdbc.SybDriver</driver> -->
  <url>jdbc:sybase:Tds:0.0.0.0:4100</url>
  <username>user</username>
  <password>pass</password>

<!-- If the following element is set to true, then PoolMan's -->
<!-- scrollable/updatable ResultSet will not be used, and the -->
<!-- underlying driver's ResultSet will be used instead. This -->
<!-- provides a performance gain in certain rare instances at -->
<!-- the expense of functionality. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: false -->
<nativeResults>false</nativeResults>

<!-- ======================== -->
<!-- Pool Behavior Attributes -->
<!-- ======================== -->

<!-- Connections created when the pool is instantiated -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 1 -->
<initialConnections>2</initialConnections>

<!-- The pool will never shrink below this number -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 0 -->
<minimumSize>0</minimumSize>

<!-- The pool will never grow larger than this value -->
<maximumSize>50</maximumSize>

<!-- The connection will be destroyed after living for a -->
<!-- duration of this value. IN SECONDS. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 1200 (20 minutes) -->
<connectionTimeout>600</connectionTimeout>

<!-- A user will lose a Connection and it will automatically -->
<!-- return to its pool after the duration greater than or -->
<!-- equal to this value. IN SECONDS. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 20 -->
<userTimeout>10</userTimeout>

<!-- How frequently each object's connection timeout and -->
<!-- user timeout values will be examined for collection. -->
<!-- IN SECONDS. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 660 (11 minutes) -->
<skimmerFrequency>60</skimmerFrequency>

<!-- Each time the pool is sized down, how many connections -->
<!-- should be removed from it? This value prevents backing -->
<!-- off the pool too quickly. -->
<shrinkBy>5</shrinkBy>

<!-- Where should log and debug information be printed? -->
<!-- DEFAULT: System.out -->
<logFile>/var/log/poolman.log</logFile>

<!-- If set to true, the logger will display verbose info -->
<!-- DEFAULT: false -->
<debugging>true</debugging>

<!-- XA Connection Attributes -->
<!-- NOTE: MEASURED IN SECONDS. -->
<transactionTimeout>100</transactionTimeout>

<!-- Query Cache Attributes-->

<!-- If enabled, queries will be cached. The cache is -->
<!-- asynchronously updated in the background. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: false -->
<cacheEnabled>true</cacheEnabled>

<!-- The maximum number of query/ResultSet pairs the -->
<!-- cache can contain. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 5 -->
<cacheSize>500</cacheSize>

<!-- How long the cache waits before re-loading its -->
<!-- ResultSets from the underlying database. -->
<!-- IN SECONDS. -->
<!-- DEFAULT: 30 -->
<cacheRefreshInterval>21600</cacheRefreshInterval>

<!-- A SQL statement to be executed when the pool is created.-->
<!-- DEFAULT: none -->
<!--
<initialPoolSQL>
insert into users values(32, 'xml')
  </initialPoolSQL>

</poolman>

Can someone tell me if I am doing anything wrong in this... or I have to
set some other parameters.

Also, when the total connection objects become high... I start getting
lots of Arrayindexoutofbounds exception. I have to cycle my server to
avoid getting these errors.

Thanks and Regards

Manish

--