Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2017/06/07 08:25:47 UTC

[LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

Hi,

here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom, we can revert this fix.

If nobody objects, I’m going to merge this later this week and prepare RC3.

Cheers,
Benedikt

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/270

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> Am 07.06.2017 um 15:09 schrieb Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>:
>
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> On 2017-06-07, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>
>>> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry
>>> to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration
>>> from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release
>>> 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom,
>>> we can revert this fix.
>>
>> I've done something similar to Compress already. As Compress has been
>> overriding the jar-plugin configuration already (in order to add a
>> main-class) there's been no other option anyway.
>>
>> I'm afraid Compress is not the only component that overrides the
>> parent's jar config and thus will require copying the change manually
>> even if you happen to find a solution for parent.
>
> You don't have to overwrite the jar's parent config. Simply append/overwrite
> the existing entries:
>
>  <configuration>
>    <archive combine.children="append">
>      <manifestEntries>
>        <Main-Class>org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.Lister</Main-
> Class>
>      </manifestEntries>
>    </archive>
>  </configuration>
>
> That's it ;-)

Awesome, I could use this trick to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry without having to duplicate the whole maven-jar-plugin configuration!

Thank you
Benedikt

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-06-07, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> On 2017-06-07, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

>>> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry
>>> to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration
>>> from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release
>>> 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom,
>>> we can revert this fix.

>> I've done something similar to Compress already. As Compress has been
>> overriding the jar-plugin configuration already (in order to add a
>> main-class) there's been no other option anyway.

>> I'm afraid Compress is not the only component that overrides the
>> parent's jar config and thus will require copying the change manually
>> even if you happen to find a solution for parent.

> You don't have to overwrite the jar's parent config. Simply append/overwrite
> the existing entries:

>   <configuration>
>     <archive combine.children="append">
>       <manifestEntries>
>         <Main-Class>org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.Lister</Main-Class>
>       </manifestEntries>
>     </archive>
>   </configuration>

> That's it ;-)

I'm pretty sure we've tried that before. I'll give it another shot,
thanks.

Stefan

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
This looks fine in terms of what it does. Obviously not ideal to have
the copying, but that is the right choice to make right now.
Stephen

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
> On Jun 7, 2017, at 4:25 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom, we can revert this fix.

Regarding naming of the property used in the parent, I went with “commons.module.name” because all of the other properties seem to be period delimited and contain no dashes. That said, I’m ok with “commons.automatic-module-name” and am willing to go through and rename them all.

-Rob