Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/22 22:16:21 UTC

[m2] release plugin and pom license (was Re: Release commons-fileupload 1.2.1)

On 12/22/07, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Rahul Akolkar wrote:

<snip/>

> > Yup, the pom gets distributed (as part of maven doing what it does),
> > so having a license header seems important. However, the m2 release
> > plugin strips it out [1] sometimes (no one clarified why or how to fix
> > that last time I asked). So, either that needs fixing or someone needs
> > to assert that poms do not need licenses.
>
> It is kept, if the comment with the license is put after the project tag.

<snap/>

Cool, had heard that on the grapevine [1].

-Rahul

[1] http://tinyurl.com/2kj2vj

Re: [m2] release plugin and pom license (was Re: Release commons-fileupload 1.2.1)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
There is an open bug for this annoying behaviour:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-255

I also listed a workaround as a comment in the bug.

I hope that this bug gets fixed with the next release...

Carsten

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> This happens when Maven rewrites the pom file during release. I'm sure
> why, but I have devised a workaround for it. Before doing the actual
> release, do the following:
>
> 1. mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true
> 2. Compare pom.xml with pom.xml.tag
> 3. Make sure you copy all the changes, except for changes to <version/>
> and <scm/> tags, back to the pom.xml file. Common things that can change
> are: removal of newlines at the end of the file, putting the entire
> <project> tag on one line, using " instead of ' around attributes.
> 4. Clear out the temporary release files by running
>    mvn release:clean
> 5. Check in the changes you made to pom.xml
> 6. Repeat until only the <version/> and <scm/> tags change
>

> The license comment should be between the xml declaration and the
> starting <project> tag.
>

> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> On 12/22/07, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>>
>> <snip/>
>>> It is kept, if the comment with the license is put after the project tag.
>>>
>> <snap/>
>>
>> Cool, had heard that on the grapevine [1].
>>
>> -Rahul
>>
>> [1] http://tinyurl.com/2kj2vj
>>

>>> - Jörg

Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [m2] release plugin and pom license (was Re: Release commons-fileupload 1.2.1)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 12/22/07, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>>
> <snip/>
>>> Yup, the pom gets distributed (as part of maven doing what it does),
>>> so having a license header seems important. However, the m2 release
>>> plugin strips it out [1] sometimes (no one clarified why or how to fix
>>> that last time I asked). So, either that needs fixing or someone needs
>>> to assert that poms do not need licenses.
>> It is kept, if the comment with the license is put after the project tag.
>>
> <snap/>
>
> Cool, had heard that on the grapevine [1].
>
> -Rahul
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/2kj2vj
>

>> - Jörg

Dennis Lundberg