Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2012/01/24 12:16:18 UTC

[ANN] Process has changed for distributing releases

All,

As per the previous discussion, the process for distributing releases
has changed.

We no longer need to upload releases to people.a.o and then wait for the
changes to sync to the servers handling www.apache.org/dist.

The process is now that changes are committed to an svn repository [1]
and will be reflected on the ASF websites within a few seconds. Note
that we will still need to wait several hours for changes to replicate
to the mirror network.

Commits to the Tomcat area of the /dist repository are limited to Tomcat
committers. Commit notices are configured to be sent to the dev list.

We also have a new location we can use for release candidates if we wish
[2].

Mark

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/

Re: [ANN] Process has changed for distributing releases

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/01/2012 11:32, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/1/24 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>> All,
>>
>> As per the previous discussion, the process for distributing releases
>> has changed.
>>
>> We no longer need to upload releases to people.a.o and then wait for the
>> changes to sync to the servers handling www.apache.org/dist.
>>
>> The process is now that changes are committed to an svn repository [1]
>> and will be reflected on the ASF websites within a few seconds. Note
>> that we will still need to wait several hours for changes to replicate
>> to the mirror network.
>>
>> Commits to the Tomcat area of the /dist repository are limited to Tomcat
>> committers. Commit notices are configured to be sent to the dev list.
>>
>> We also have a new location we can use for release candidates if we wish
>> [2].
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> [1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/
>> [2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/
>>

> Thank you for clarification.
>
> One question: how old releases are handled? Those that should be
> removed from mirrors, but are kept in the archive.
>
> Is the procedure to just "svn remove" them from this repository?

Yes. As with the previous upload process, the old versions should be
removed once all the download links point to the new versions.

Mark

Re: [ANN] Process has changed for distributing releases

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/24 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> All,
>
> As per the previous discussion, the process for distributing releases
> has changed.
>
> We no longer need to upload releases to people.a.o and then wait for the
> changes to sync to the servers handling www.apache.org/dist.
>
> The process is now that changes are committed to an svn repository [1]
> and will be reflected on the ASF websites within a few seconds. Note
> that we will still need to wait several hours for changes to replicate
> to the mirror network.
>
> Commits to the Tomcat area of the /dist repository are limited to Tomcat
> committers. Commit notices are configured to be sent to the dev list.
>
> We also have a new location we can use for release candidates if we wish
> [2].
>
> Mark
>

> [1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/
> [2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/

Thank you for clarification.

One question: how old releases are handled? Those that should be
removed from mirrors, but are kept in the archive.

Is the procedure to just "svn remove" them from this repository?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko