Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Tomek CEDRO <to...@cedro.info> on 2022/10/02 12:39:12 UTC

C -> FPGA

I just found amazing project where Victor Suarez Rovere [1] created a
converter that can turn C++ code into a FPGA design.. with amazing
performance both in domain of computational and energy efficiency!

Here is the paper for "Sphery vs. Shapes" [2] and the YoutTube demo
[3] where RayTracing 3D game is created for a PC+GPU and then
converted into a direct FPGA design as desribed on CNX Software blog
[4] :-)

Tools used (all Open-Source):
1. PipelineC [5].
2. CFlexHDL [6].

Final game demo is here on GitHub [7].

This is really amazing. Around 15 years ago when I wanted to create
Neural Interface I had this concept of putting everything on FPGA (I
did simple PONG game) then turn it into ASIC. Reality verified my
concepts back then but one day it may still be possible, and this
project is a proof that this way of thinking may have been correct, I
think this is the future.. especially with all those RISC-V maybe
FPGAs will get another life :-)

Anyways, just sharing a great discovery, and maybe a new platform for
NuttX RTOS to play with :-)

Have a great weekend! :-)
Tomek

[1] https://github.com/suarezvictor