Posted to users@maven.apache.org by da...@ascentialsoftware.com on 2004/07/06 20:13:11 UTC

Using log4j to capture maven output?

Hi everyone,

I've been charged with the task of migrating a project's build system from
an ad-hoc collection of ant tasks to an automated maven-based system. The
one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to log maven's output using
log4j.

I know I can just redirect output in a shell script / batch file, but I'm
trying to keep the build scripts as OS independent as I can so it would be
ideal if I could configure logging from within maven.xml or even
project.properties.

Is it possible to do this? According to the FAQ, maven used to log output to
maven.log but I don't see a way to enable this.

Please help!

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Using log4j to capture maven output?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
doing it programmatically would mean developing a plugin that had a
jellybean that called out to the logger methods.

An easier way is probably just to add -Dlog4j.configuration=xxx to
MAVEN_OPTS or the startup script. The log4j documentation details how
to override the config, and the default maven log4j.properties are in
CVS at src/conf/log4j.properties for reference.

Cheers,
Brett