Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/06/16 21:07:51 UTC

automation and truth

While testing the Magic javadoc plugin I was confronted with a issue
that has been bothering me for a while.  Avalon Framework API contains
the deprecated Loggable interface.  Loggable references the LogKit
Logger interface. As LogKit has not api/impl separation, this means that
strictly speaking, Avalon API has structural dependencies on LogKit,
JMS, Sun's Mail API and JMS.  Collectively this makes for one ugly api
when generating with an automated source path ... i.e. the truth is exposed.

I have just resolved this issue by creating avalon-framework-legacy.  I
have moved the Logger interface and the entire component package from
framework api into legacy, declared the legacy as dependent on the clean
framework api, and updated the framework impl definition to reference
both api and legacy.

I've committed these changes so people can so the overall impact, and
I've bumped framework to 4.2.1.  Initial test results under the javadoc
plugin are now working nicely aside from some warnings which I'll take
care of shortly.

Stephen.

Re: automation and truth

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 23:57, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 2004 03:07, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > I've committed these changes so people can so the overall impact, and
> > I've bumped framework to 4.2.1.  Initial test results under the javadoc
> > plugin are now working nicely aside from some warnings which I'll take
> > care of shortly.
>
> +1 on the change itself, but this is definately a 4.3 step, not a bug fix.

I agree with Niclas +1 to the change and +1 to it being rolled into a
4.3 release of framework.

Alex

Re: automation and truth

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 17 June 2004 03:07, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> I've committed these changes so people can so the overall impact, and
> I've bumped framework to 4.2.1.  Initial test results under the javadoc
> plugin are now working nicely aside from some warnings which I'll take
> care of shortly.

+1 on the change itself, but this is definately a 4.3 step, not a bug fix.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /