Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/20 02:08:38 UTC

New committer invitation template proposal

Hi,

I would like to suggest how we can improve the new committer onboarding  process by changing the standard committer invitation email. This is after the new committer has been voted on and if PMC membership is offered, after the board has been notified with 72 hour notice.

This will eventually become a patch to
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/blob/master/source/newcommitter.md

The big change is that the committer is asked to tell the PMC if they are already a committer or if they have already submitted an ICLA. This should reduce the back-n-forth among PMC-committer-secretary-root.

Please let me know what you think. If this seems like a good idea, we can ask PMCs to update their onboarding processes.

Craig

### Committer Invite Template
This is the suggested invitation email to send to the newly elected committer,
sent after a positive result from the PMC vote for a new committer.

    To: JoeBloggs@foo.net
    Cc: private@[PROJECT].apache.org
    Subject: Invitation to become [PROJECT] committer: Joe Bloggs

    Hello [invitee name],

    The [Project] Project Management Committee] (PMC)
    hereby offers you committer privileges to the project
    [as well as membership in the PMC]. These privileges are
    offered on the understanding that you'll use them
    reasonably and with common sense. We like to work on trust
    rather than unnecessary constraints.

    Being a committer enables you to more easily make
    changes without needing to go through the patch
    submission process. [Being a PMC member enables you
    to guide the direction of the project.]

    Being a committer does not require you to
    participate any more than you already do. It does
    tend to make one even more committed.  You will
    probably find that you spend more time here.

    Of course, you can decline and instead remain as a
    contributor, participating as you do now.

    A. This personal invitation is a chance for you to
    accept or decline in private.  Either way, please
    let us know in reply only to the [private@project.apache.org]
    address.

    B. If you accept, the next step is to get an Apache id:
	• If you are already a committer on another project, reply to this message and let us know your Apache id and we will set you up with commit privileges [and put you on the PMC roster].
	• If you have earlier submitted an ICLA, reply to this message and let us know the Public name under which you submitted your ICLA. We will then request your account. If the email address you entered on the ICLA is no longer appropriate, submit a new ICLA with the new email address. See the next bullet for details.
	• If you have not yet submitted an ICLA, reply to this message indicating your acceptance and plans to submit your ICLA.

Then, forward this message to secretary@apache.org and attach your ICLA document. Do not cc: the project, as this unnecessarily exposes your Personally Identifiable Information.
This will allow the Secretary to easily verify that you have been invited to become a committer. Be sure to put your requested Apache id and the project name on the ICLA form. This will allow the Secretary to request your account and notify the project directly. Within a few days you will receive instructions for logging in and changing your password.

Details of the iCLA and instructions for submitting the forms are found here: https://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
https://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html#submitting

C. When creation of your account is noted, you will receive a follow-up message with next steps.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: New committer invitation template proposal

Posted by Bessenyei Balázs Donát <be...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Did the changes proposed in this thread ever happen to
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/blob/master/source/newcommitter.md
? I can't find it in the file history, but there could be something
I'm missing.
I'm asking because we'd like to add a new committer to our project who
is already an ASF member, but all guides include a request to file an
ICLA.

Should I just skip the part requesting the ICLA from our invitation or
was there a reason I can't find the change in any of the guidelines?

Thank you,
Donat

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

    To: JoeBloggs@foo.net
    Cc: private@[PROJECT].apache.org

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 at 03:08, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to suggest how we can improve the new committer onboarding  process by changing the standard committer invitation email. This is after the new committer has been voted on and if PMC membership is offered, after the board has been notified with 72 hour notice.
>
> This will eventually become a patch to
> https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/blob/master/source/newcommitter.md
>
> The big change is that the committer is asked to tell the PMC if they are already a committer or if they have already submitted an ICLA. This should reduce the back-n-forth among PMC-committer-secretary-root.
>
> Please let me know what you think. If this seems like a good idea, we can ask PMCs to update their onboarding processes.
>
> Craig
>
> ### Committer Invite Template
> This is the suggested invitation email to send to the newly elected committer,
> sent after a positive result from the PMC vote for a new committer.

>     To: JoeBloggs@foo.net
>     Cc: private@[PROJECT].apache.org
>     Subject: Invitation to become [PROJECT] committer: Joe Bloggs
>
>     Hello [invitee name],
>
>     The [Project] Project Management Committee] (PMC)
>     hereby offers you committer privileges to the project
>     [as well as membership in the PMC]. These privileges are
>     offered on the understanding that you'll use them
>     reasonably and with common sense. We like to work on trust
>     rather than unnecessary constraints.
>
>     Being a committer enables you to more easily make
>     changes without needing to go through the patch
>     submission process. [Being a PMC member enables you
>     to guide the direction of the project.]

A PMC member involves a lot more than just guiding the direction of the project.

The prospective member needs to be told what is expected of PMC
members so they can make
an informed decision.

>     Being a committer does not require you to
>     participate any more than you already do. It does
>     tend to make one even more committed.  You will
>     probably find that you spend more time here.

Being a PMC member DOES require additional participation ...

>     Of course, you can decline and instead remain as a
>     contributor, participating as you do now.
>
>     A. This personal invitation is a chance for you to
>     accept or decline in private.  Either way, please
>     let us know in reply only to the [private@project.apache.org]

"in reply only" does not read well.

>     address.
>
>     B. If you accept, the next step is to get an Apache id:
>         • If you are already a committer on another project, reply to this message and let us know your Apache id and we will set you up with commit privileges [and put you on the PMC roster].

"let us know" - who is "us" ?

>         • If you have earlier submitted an ICLA, reply to this message and let us know the Public name under which you submitted your ICLA. We will then request your account. If the email address you entered on the ICLA is no longer appropriate, submit a new ICLA with the new email address. See the next bullet for details.

The Public Name is not necessarily unique. It would be better to ask
for the email address.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Craig, great idea. I've had this exact issue and seen it happen on
projects. Plus you have significant experiences secretary so almost
anything you recommend for streamlining the process is going to be a
benefit to the foundation.

Regards, KAM