Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Lihn, Steve" <ho...@merck.com> on 2002/10/14 22:21:35 UTC

FOP to print a book

Hi,
I am new to FOP. I am looking for a software that can generate
a book (chapters, sections, with TOC and index). FOP seems to be
a good fit. Is there a documentaion or tools to explain how to do this?

I saw there is a pdf outline sample. But I need TOC (Table of content).
Also I saw an example that the section id is hard coded inot the xml.
How do I use an auto increment variable?

Thanks.

  Steve Lihn

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.

Re: FOP to print a book

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Lihn, Steve wrote:

> I am new to FOP. I am looking for a software that can generate
> a book (chapters, sections, with TOC and index). FOP seems to be
> a good fit. Is there a documentaion or tools to explain how to do this?

Look at the "Where to start" and "XSLFO" sections in the XSL FAQ
reachable from
  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

> I saw there is a pdf outline sample. But I need TOC (Table of content).

A table of contents...is currently best implemented as a table:
  <fo:table>
    <fo:table-column column-width="10cm"/>
    <fo:table-column column-width="2cm"/>
    <fo:table-body>
      <fo:table-row>
        <fo:table-cell>
          <fo:block>Section 1<fo:leader leader-pattern="dots"/></fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>
        <fo:table-cell>
          <fo:block text-align="right"><fo:leader
              leader-pattern="dots"/><fo:page-number-citation
              ref-id="stuff"/></fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell>
      </fo:table-row>
    </fo:table-body>
  </fo:table>

 > Also I saw an example that the section id is hard coded inot the xml.
 > How do I use an auto increment variable?

You can't, and you dont need. This is a XSLT VFAQ, check the source above.
For the task of generating IDs use, well, the generate-id() function.

J.Pietschmann

Re: FOP to print a book

Posted by Konstantin Priblouda <kp...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Lihn, Steve" <ho...@merck.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to FOP. I am looking for a software that
> can generate
> a book (chapters, sections, with TOC and index). FOP
> seems to be
> a good fit. Is there a documentaion or tools to
> explain how to do this?
FP is not what exactly you are looking for. It's
XSL Formatter - it can render your xsl-fo into PDF

To create XSL-FO there are a lot of solutions - like
docbook, anakia etc.

regards,

=====
Konstantin Priblouda ( ko5tik )    Freelance Software developer
< http://www.pribluda.de > < play java games -> http://www.yook.de >
< render charts online -> http://www.pribluda.de/povray/ >

http://faith.yahoo.com