Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Sanket Sharma <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/13 20:40:25 UTC

Subversion issues

Hi,

I was trying to create and submit a patch for Derby but I'm having a
hard time using subversion.

In the directory where I checked out subversion, I did the following:

1. svn update
2. svn diff > DerbyPatch.patch

Once I have the patch file, I checked out a fresh copy and tried to
apply the patch using the patch utility.

However, I get an error saying patch cannot find a file, which the file exists.

The exact message is like:

Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/services/monitor/BaseMonitor.java
|===================================================================
|--- java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/services/monitor/BaseMonitor.java
(revision 473517)
|+++ java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/services/monitor/BaseMonitor.java
(working copy)
--------------------------
File to patch:

(waits for input)

Am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Best Regards,
Sanket Sharma

Re: Subversion issues

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com> writes:

> (a) Make sure you're using the GNU version of patch
> (b) How are you running the patch command?

Assuming you have checked out Derby into /home/you/derby, and have a
patch called /home/you/some_patch.diff, you should be able to do

cd /home/you/derby
gpatch -i ../some_patch.diff -p0

Personally I prefer to start with
gpatch --dry-run -i ../some_patch.diff -p0

to check that it (most likely) will work.

(It may not be called 'gpatch' on your system)

--
dt

Re: Subversion issues

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>.
(a) Make sure you're using the GNU version of patch
(b) How are you running the patch command?

David