Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Eric Fixler <fi...@smete.org> on 2002/09/20 09:53:40 UTC

logging error (DiscoveryException for LogFactory implementation)

Hello.  I get the following error when trying to deploy Axis under ATG
Dynamo:

**** Error      Fri Sep 20 00:40:41 PDT 2002    1032507641255   /
Unable to resolve component /atg/dynamo/service/j2ee/J2EEContainer
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError:
org.apache.commons.discovery.DiscoveryException: No implementation
defined for org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
****   at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.newInstance(SPInterface.j
ava:197)
**** at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.newInstance(DiscoverCla
ss.java:579)
**** at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingle
ton.java:418)
**** at
org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingle
ton.java:378)
**** at
org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.<clinit>(LogFactory.java:70
)
**** at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.<clinit>(AxisServletBase.
java:94)
**** at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)

I looked at the docs and scanned throught the mailing list archives and
it doesn't seem that you're necessarily obligated to configure logging.
I did make a commons-logging.properties file and put it in the
classpath.  It's a one-liner with this content:

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog

Following a thread in the mailing list, I also extracted
log4j.properties from axis.jar and put in a folder that's in the
classpath, but that had no effect.

Any tips greatly appreciated...

thanks
eric