Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Yariel Ramos Moreno <yr...@ceis.cujae.edu.cu> on 2006/09/28 02:47:49 UTC

alternative

Hi all:

I'm writing 'cause I need a suggestion about the best way to face an issue in a project.

I'm working in a big management system. In this struts application almost all pages have a lot of fields with a performance like a desktop application, specially with a lot of validations. The main problem is when, in many cases, I need to hide or disable some visual components according to the user actions over the page or the values selected in those components (check or uncheck of radios and checkboxes, value selected in a combo, etc) .To make this, I'm using javascript, but there are a lot of field values and/or names extracted from the data base (codifiers, entities properties, etc), wired to the javascript functions 'cause the page's performance depends on it (eg. if I select the value "Admin" in a combo, I need to hide Table1 and show Table2, but if I pick value "Operator" I need to hide both tables). I know this is a bad programming practice (using business logic in the view) and it doesn't allows to reuse the code, but I don't have any other idea to do this.

Any help is welcome,

Thanks in advance...

XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion

Re: alternative

Re: alternative

Posted by Thomas Joseph <th...@kottsoftware.com>.
UI Tags is great!

But as simple to add some tags... consider http://ajaxtags.sourceforge.net
if you can't find something in UI Tags.

---
Thanks and Regards,
Thomas Joseph
Kott Software Pvt. Ltd. | Vallamattom Estate | M.G.Road | Cochin
Kerala - 682015 | India
www.kottsoftware.com
This email (including any attachments) is subject to copyright, the
information in it is confidential, and it is legally privileged. Use of this
email or of any information in it other than by the addressee is
unauthorized and unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient of the
mail, kindly notify the author of the mail and delete the same.

Re: alternative

Re: alternative

Posted by Thomas Joseph <th...@kottsoftware.com>.
> I'm working in a big management system. In this struts application almost
all pages have
> a lot of fields with a performance like a desktop application, specially
with a lot of
> validations. The main problem is when, in many cases, I need to hide or
disable some
> visual components according to the user actions over the page or the
values selected in
> those components (check or uncheck of radios and checkboxes, value
selected in a
> combo, etc) .

Consider using AJAX in your application.
AJAX is a good candidate when your app needs to behave like desktop
applications.

>To make this, I'm using javascript, but there are a lot of field values
> and/or names extracted from the data base (codifiers, entities properties,
etc), wired
> to the javascript functions 'cause the page's performance depends on it
(eg. if I select
> the value "Admin" in a combo, I need to hide Table1 and show Table2, but
if I pick
> value "Operator" I need to hide both tables). I know this is a bad
programming practice
> (using business logic in the view) and it doesn't allows to reuse the
code, but I don't
> have any other idea to do this.

If AJAX is used wisely, business logic need not come into the view, also you
can reuse the code.
However AJAX primarily is JavaScript based.

Check this out: http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/ (see AjaxParts)
Some articles on AJAX http://www.omnytex.com/articles/

Of course there are many other custom AJAX implementations as well.

If you do not want use JavaScript and still use AJAX,
http://ajaxanywhere.sourceforge.net

There must be some good design patterns/ or guidelines when using AJAX.
Has anyone here got some pointers to them??

----

Re: alternative

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.
Yariel Ramos Moreno wrote:
> Any help is welcome,

If you don't want go AJAX, then try uitags.sf.net.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>