Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/06 16:41:44 UTC

"Best Practice" for parsing an XML file for application configuration parameters?

I am developing an application that will require different application settings
for different machines/customers.

Because of this, I want to to externalize certain configuration settings to a
XML file outside of web.xml - let's call this myApp.xml.

I have a StartupServlet that I can parse this file with.

1.  What should I use to parse this file - SAX, DOM, Digester?

2.  Should I have a bean that represents all the configuration settings, and
put this in the ServletContext as an attirubute, or each individual setting?

3.  If I use Digester and a bean (seems good), should I change my XML in the
following snippet?

<application>
	<respository>
		<root>d:/repository</root>
		<assets>assets</assets>
		<viewPath>file://d:/repository/assets</viewPath>
	</respository>
	<assessment>
		<!-- This value is a percentage -->
		<default-passing-score>75</default-passing-score>
	</assessment>
</application>

Any help (or URLs) are appreciated!

Matt

Re: "Best Practice" for parsing an XML file for application configuration parameters?

Posted by Dave Weis <dj...@sjdjweis.com>.
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Matt Raible wrote:
> I am developing an application that will require different application
> settings for different machines/customers.
> Because of this, I want to to externalize certain configuration
> settings to a XML file outside of web.xml - let's call this myApp.xml.
> I have a StartupServlet that I can parse this file with.
> 1.  What should I use to parse this file - SAX, DOM, Digester?

I have used jdom and really like it. It's not blindingly fast, but it
saves me enough time that I don't mind.

> 2.  Should I have a bean that represents all the configuration settings, and
> put this in the ServletContext as an attirubute, or each individual setting?

I think the settings should all be contained in a bean.

> 3.  If I use Digester and a bean (seems good), should I change my XML in the
> following snippet?
> <application>
> 	<respository>
> 		<root>d:/repository</root>
> 		<assets>assets</assets>
> 		<viewPath>file://d:/repository/assets</viewPath>
> 	</respository>
> 	<assessment>
> 		<!-- This value is a percentage -->
> 		<default-passing-score>75</default-passing-score>
> 	</assessment>
> </application>

Looks reasonable.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement
djweis@sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent