Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Fitzgerald <ma...@mycustomdatabase.com> on 2008/11/13 21:39:08 UTC

Application Won't Deploy

I have a 3rd party application (JForum) that I have running along side
my application. The forum software has been running fine for over a
year. I restarted the Tomcat server over the weekend, and when it came
back up, the forum software wasn't loaded. I tried to deploy the
application using the Manager web interface in Tomcat, but it won't
load. Specifically, I am entering the context path, XML configuration
file path, and the directory URL. Entering this information in the
past has worked whenever I have had to redeploy the application. What
happens this time is that an OK response is returned, but the
application isn't loaded. When I check the logs, there isn't an error
message.

I'm stumped because I don't know why it isn't loading. I've verified
that the files and directories for the application are readable by the
Tomcat user. I've verified that the web.xml file for the application
is not corrupted. My software is as follows:

RedHat Linux
Tomcat v5.0.16
JForum v2.1.7
Java 1.4.2

It's possible that there is a conflict happening with one of the .jar
files, but I can't determine which one it is because I don't see any
error messages. I'm looking for help to determine the cause of the
problem. I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

I've tried setting up a <context> entry in the server.xml file. When I
restart Tomcat with that in it, Tomcat fails to load and I get the
following error in the log:

INFO: Installing web application at context path /jforum from URL
file:/opt/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16/webapps/jforum
Nov 11, 2008 1:47:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
install
INFO: Error installing
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@19ba640 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@19ba640 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))

This at least indicates that there is a problem with commons.logging,
but I'm not sure how to work with this. Is it a problem with the
forum, or something else?

Most likely something was updated at some point, and now there is a
conflict. How can I determine if this is a Tomcat issue or an
application issue?

RE: Application Won't Deploy

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Mark Fitzgerald [mailto:mark@mycustomdatabase.com]
> Subject: Application Won't Deploy
>
> I've verified that the web.xml file for the application
> is not corrupted.

How?

> My software is as follows:
> RedHat Linux

What version?

> Tomcat v5.0.16

Can you reproduce the problem on a supported Tomcat level?  The 5.0 leg was deprecated some time ago.

> I've tried setting up a <context> entry in the server.xml file.

It's <Context>, not <context>, and doesn't really belong in server.xml.  What did you put in it?

 - Chuck