Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> on 2015/08/27 17:21:37 UTC

[YETUS] let's start getting some releases out the door

Hi Folks!

For those who don't already know, the move to TLP for Yetus got tabled at
the last board meeting. Not to worry, things are on track for a speedy
approval in September. On the plus side, our trademark request got approved
in the process so we're clear for releases.

I'm going to reach out to the "interested contributors" over on the
proposal text[1] in hopes that they'd like to get started sooner rather
than later.

I'd like us to start moving towards releases, both selfishly so that I can
start using things in other projects and so that when new contributors show
up they can expect their efforts to get out to the public. I'm presuming
all of our releases under the Hadoop PMC will be version numbers that imply
an unstable API (i.e. sub-1.0), but atleast interested down stream folks
can stop waiting.

One big TODO before we get moving is updating our repo layout[2]. We've
been avoiding it so that we can have an easier time dealing with the
occasional change that lands in trunk instead of our feature branch. So
long as we're going to get a release out, I think we should take the
plunge. As is, we have to instruct new contributors on navigating through
the hadoop codebase to get to us. It also makes it harder to start working
out what our release packaging should look like.

For quick review, here are our planned initial components:

  * interface audience
  * shelldoc
  * releasedocmaker
  * test-patch

I think the interface audience stuff (annotations and javadoc tooling) and
the shelldoc work is ready to go now.

It would be nice if releasedocmaker had a decision on the question of
formatting for release note blurbs on jiras[3], but I could see the
argument for letting it slide for now.

Allen, you've been chugging away at the build support changes in
test-patch[4]. That looks like it's going to change a bunch of stuff.
Should we wait for it to land to have an initial release?

Thoughts? Concerns? Other things folks want to make sure get done? Maybe
the build question for test-patch[5]? ;)

[1]: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/YetusProposal
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12361
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12298
[4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12257
[5]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12137

--
Sean

Re: [YETUS] let's start getting some releases out the door

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
just  to provide an alternative, maybe one that needs a new thread, is
there a reason that a version-info-plugin in Yetus is a better idea than
trying to get it into the Maven project itself?

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Kengo Seki <se...@gmail.com>.
I also think it's a blocker. I'll take a look into it.

Posted by Kengo Seki <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.