Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chad Jones <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/08 09:33:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Fwd: ForceType, AddType and/or AddHandler?

I posted this earlier and never received a response.  I'm was hoping if I post it again I might have better luck. :)
Thank You.
Chad.

Chad Jones <ch...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    I'm brand new to Apache and pretty confused.  I hope my question is a
    simple one.  I'd really like to know the fundamental difference
    between AddHandler, AddType and ForceType.  I have read the Apache
    documentation located here:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_mime.html

    However it isn't clear for example why I should choose one over the
    other for configuration.  What's the difference?  Perhaps I'm so new
    to Apache that I just really don't get it.

    On some webpages I see directives like:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

    On others it is like this:
    AddHandler php-script .php .htm .html

    Still other pages where the suggestion is to use both of the above.
    Which of these is right?  I have also read on one page that AddType is
    wrong and AddHandler is right but why?

    Not only that but I think  AddType is using the MIME type application/x-httpd-php which I don't think is even a valid mime type according to iana who I believe is the authority on MIME types:

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/

    I also ran across another page from someone who seemed very
    knowledgable on the subject who suggested to use ForceType if I want a  certain named file without an extension to be handled as PHP:

    <Files download>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    </Files>

    I'd really like to know what the difference is here and why I should
    pick one other the other?  I'm not someone who does the whole "try it
    and if it works great" I'd rather configure Apache right the first
    time rather then configure it now and then find out later its not
    configured properly and have to go and fix it.  That is do it right
    the first time...

    I apologize for all the questions, maybe you can tell I'm confused.
    Thanks. :)
    Chad.

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: ForceType, AddType and/or AddHandler?

Posted by Iñigo Medina García <im...@diazdesantos.es>.
Chad Jones wrote:
> I posted this earlier and never received a response.  I'm was hoping if
> I post it again I might have better luck. :)
> Thank You.
> Chad.
>
> */Chad Jones <ch...@yahoo.com>/* wrote:
>
>     I'm brand new to Apache and pretty confused.  I hope my question is a
>     simple one.  I'd really like to know the fundamental difference
>     between AddHandler, AddType and ForceType.  I have read the Apache
>     documentation located here:
>
>     http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_mime.html
>
>     However it isn't clear for example why I should choose one over the
>     other for configuration.  What's the difference?  Perhaps I'm so new
>     to Apache that I just really don't get it.
>
>     On some webpages I see directives like:
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
>
>     On others it is like this:
>     AddHandler php-script .php .htm .html
>
>     Still other pages where the suggestion is to use both of the above.
>     Which of these is right?  I have also read on one page that AddType is
>     wrong and AddHandler is right but why?
>
>     Not only that but I think  AddType is using the MIME type
> application/x-httpd-php which I don't think is even a valid mime type
> according to iana who I believe is the authority on MIME types:
>
>     http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/
>
>     I also ran across another page from someone who seemed very
>     knowledgable on the subject who suggested to use ForceType if I want
> a  certain named file without an extension to be handled as PHP:
>
>     <Files download>
>     ForceType application/x-httpd-php
>     </Files>
>
>     I'd really like to know what the difference is here and why I should
>     pick one other the other?  I'm not someone who does the whole "try it
>     and if it works great" I'd rather configure Apache right the first
>     time rather then configure it now and then find out later its not
>     configured properly and have to go and fix it.  That is do it right
>     the first time...

I think the best you can do is first thinking about what you want.
Render php pages with apache? Manage some files in a certain way? Work
at level of server configuration or at level of directories or files?
Etc... This way you'll understand better the apache-doc and the ML will
help you easier.

   Iñigo

--
--------