Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2005/08/08 22:20:41 UTC

Re: JUnit

I'd like to take stock of where this issue stands. I believe some
engineers may already be working on JUnit harnesses for Derby tests. If
so, could they let the derby-dev list know what they're planning and
what they've accomplished so far? In case there are multiple parallel
efforts going on here, it would be good to coordinate them.

An issue on this thread remains unresolved: What framework should we use
for running assertion-based tests on the J2ME platform? I liked Tom
Hawtin's suggestion of a DerbyTestCase superclass which compiles one way
on J2ME and a different way on the full-featured platforms.

I'd like to get people's feedback on the following proposal for moving
Derby tests onto an assertion-based framework:

1) Derby engineers who have already invested time building JUnit style
tests, please share your status with the group.

2) Let's figure out the following double-joints:
  a) how to run the same assertion based tests on J2ME and jdk1.4
  b) how to integrate new assertion-based tests with existing
canon-based tests

3) Let's agree to some strategy for migrating Derby off canon-based
tests onto assertion-based tests. Something like the following:
  a) We should write new tests under the assertion-based framework.
  b) If a feature/bugfix breaks an existing canon-based test, then
fixing the test should involve converting it to the assertion-based model.

Thanks,
-Rick