Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/01/01 00:10:30 UTC

Re: spam test

I know... I have a server that was accidentally open for a while, and a few
spammers found it.  The server has been fixed to not relay for 3-4 months
now, and I still get a few megabytes/day of messages delivered by them to
that server.  They keep changing IP addresses too, so my attempts to
explicitly block by IP address just wastes my time more than theirs.

Ideally I'd like James able to do two things: 1) notify the network owners
when there is a spammer and send the appropriate records and 2) identify
spammers with some semi-intelligent algorithms.  Ok, the latter is probably
more science fiction or a great way to spend a vacation twiddling with mail
headers, but the former could be quite useful.  Say on a weekly basis, the
James anti-spam reporter prepares a list of known spam mail, does a
traceroute or some network detection to see what network the message is
coming from, send the appropriate logs to abuse@thatnetwork.com, and
hopefully shut that person's account off.  Admitedly this could be a great
source of unwanted email, but if the reports contained very helpful
information (exact times, IP addresses, durations, summary of what was sent)
and were not sent too regularly, it could help network admins shutdown holes
in their network.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/