Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/12/02 04:32:23 UTC

review of sitemap component documentation

Okay the initial coordination table is now ready.
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/review-sitemap-docs.html

The next task is to review the table to ensure that
all entries have been added for "sitemap components".

--David

Re: review of sitemap component documentation

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
superb effort David thanks!

Cheers
Jorg

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Okay the initial coordination table is now ready.
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/review-sitemap-docs.html

Wow, impressive work!

> The next task is to review the table to ensure that
> all entries have been added for "sitemap components".

Another impressive work to do ;-)

Sylvain

Re: review of sitemap component documentation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Okay the initial coordination table is now ready.
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/review-sitemap-docs.html
>
> The next task is to review the table to ensure that
> all entries have been added for "sitemap components".

<applause/>

--
Stefano.

Re: review of sitemap component documentation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le 2 déc. 04, à 10:36, David Crossley a écrit :
> ...I do want to use tools to help process the xml table.
> For example, i have a 'sed' script to add a blank
> column. Should i commit those somewhere?..

Yes, somewhere in the tools directory would be good IMHO

>> And/or a single bugzilla issue to keep track of the work done on this
>> table might be good?
>
> Not sure what you mean there. I was expecting that
> just the svn commit log messages would suffice.

Just having an issue page show up in the bugzilla list would help
remind us that there is work to be done there, and keeping a
single-page history of what we do might be good. But you're right that
the svn log might be enough.

>> ...Did you document the process already, i.e. how do new entries come
>> into the table when someone adds a new component? (I have not reread
>> the whole thread so I might be missing something obvious, please bear
>> with me).
>
> ....My inial goal was to set up a functional table manually,
> then work on ways to automate its population and ways
> to ensure that it stays synchronised...

Even having a way (script, ant task, whatever) to *check* what might be
missing in the table would be enough I think, population is no big deal
but finding out what's missing is harder I think.

> ...Let us take it steadily. It is
> a long road.

sure!

-Bertrand

Re: review of sitemap component documentation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> David Crossley a écrit :
>
>> Okay the initial coordination table is now ready.
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/review-sitemap-docs.html
>

> big big thanks for making this happen, it is an important step I think.
> Hope to find time to help here.

You already are.

> Maybe a periodic nag email to here with the number of unreviewed entries
> would be good?

The xdocs source for that doc is consistent and
has some xml comments. It could be parsed and grepped
with standard UNIX tools or could be processed with
an ant task and XSL.

I do want to use tools to help process the xml table.
For example, i have a 'sed' script to add a blank
column. Should i commit those somewhere?

> And/or a single bugzilla issue to keep track of the work
> done on this table might be good?

Not sure what you mean there. I was expecting that
just the svn commit log messages would suffice.

However, i was wondering about using Bugzilla
to assist somehow. Perhaps have one bugzilla entry
per document, then have a parent issue that creates
a roadmap from the child issues.

Each issue would enable people to add patches or even
comments about that particular sitemap component.

> Did you document the process already, i.e. how do new entries come into
> the table when someone adds a new component? (I have not reread the

Good questions. I do have a local work log
of the steps, so that i can repeat it later.

My inial goal was to set up a functional table manually,
then work on ways to automate its population and ways
to ensure that it stays synchronised.

I developed some basic UNIX shell scripts to scan the
code and xdocs. The output was manually reviewed
to weed out some cruft. After an initial automated load,
rows were added manually with copy-and-paste.

The next steps are in the To Do list at the bottom of
that coordination page. Let us take it steadily. It is
a long road.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 2 déc. 04, à 04:32, David Crossley a écrit :

> Okay the initial coordination table is now ready.
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/review-sitemap-docs.html

big big thanks for making this happen, it is an important step I think.
Hope to find time to help here.

Maybe a periodic nag email to here with the number of unreviewed
entries would be good? And/or a single bugzilla issue to keep track of
the work done on this table might be good?

Did you document the process already, i.e. how do new entries come into
the table when someone adds a new component? (I have not reread the
me).

-Bertrand

Re: review of sitemap component documentation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Luca Morandini wrote:

> At a glance I can see that Ant generator from scratchpad is missing
> (org.apache.cocoon.ant.AntBuildGenerator).

Thanks Luca, that revealed a flaw in my 'find' script.
I was expecting stuff to be organised in directories
like org/apache/cocoon/.../generation/ etc.
However, there are others like:
org/apache/cocoon/ant/AntBuildGenerator.java

So now i am finding based on filenames, e.g. *Generator.java

Updated table coming soon.

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Okay the initial coordination table is now ready.
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/review-sitemap-docs.html
>
> The next task is to review the table to ensure that
> all entries have been added for "sitemap components".

At a glance I can see that Ant generator from scratchpad is missing
(org.apache.cocoon.ant.AntBuildGenerator).

Regards,

P.S.
Thanks a lot, this is something that goes a long way towards narrowing
the code/doc divide in Cocoon.

      Luca Morandini
    lmorandini@ieee.org
http://www.lucamorandini.it