Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andoni <an...@eurokom.ie> on 2004/11/11 12:01:27 UTC

More apps = More load ?

Hello,

Does Tomcat use more resources depending on how many apps are present even if they are not being used?

In the last few days, customers have been ringing the helpdesk in my company complaining about the speed of the web sites we host on the Tomcat Servers. I associated this with the fact that I had just made a copy of one of the biggest sites on the Tomcat machine for use as a test app in the live environment. So I removed all non-essential apps from the server and found that it is now going much faster than it was before.

I would have thought that it was the number of connections to a server and the amount of users/usage there of that would have caused a load which would slow it down. In my case though there was very little usage in any of the test apps but their presence seemed to be slowing things down. Does this sound right?