Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Malka Cymbalista <Ma...@weizmann.ac.il> on 2004/01/07 08:27:49 UTC

running 2 versions of apache and mod perl on the same machine

We are moving to a new web server and we have installed apache 2.0.48
with mod_perl 1.99_12.  We are running perl 5.8.1 on a Sun Solaris
machine.
One of the applications that we run on our web server is an eprints
server which is system for archiving documents.  When one compiles
eprints, one essentially compiles it together with apache and mod perl.
As a matter of fact on our present server, we have 2 apache processes
running - the standard one on port 80, and the apache process with
eprints  on port 81.  The problem is that we are having problems
compiling eprints on our new server using apache 2 and mod perl 2 and I
was wondering if we could compile eprints with apache 1.3 and mod perl
1.  In other words, is it possible to run 2 apache processes on the same
machine, one with apache 2 and mod perl 2, and one with apache 1.3 and
mod perl 1.
Any help will be appreciated.

Malki Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot, Israel 76100
Internet: Malki.Cymbalista@weizmann.ac.il
08-934-3036

Re: running 2 versions of apache and mod perl on the same machine

Posted by Thomas Schindl <to...@profile.co.at>.
That's no problem at all. I'm running on our production server an
apache2 on port 80(without mod_perl) with an proxy forward to a
mod_perl-apache2 and a mod_perl-apache1.

Although in our case mod_perl1 has its own perl because of various
reasons.

Tom

--
   \\\||///
  \\  - -  //

Re: running 2 versions of apache and mod perl on the same machine

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:27:49AM +0200, Malka Cymbalista wrote:

> 1.  In other words, is it possible to run 2 apache processes on the same
> machine, one with apache 2 and mod perl 2, and one with apache 1.3 and
> mod perl 1.

I know nothing about eprints, but it should be no problem to have different
versions of Apache/mod_perl ruinning on the same machine, as long as you use
different ports for each one.

Eg, on my devbox, I've got two mod_perl 1 servers (one on port 80, on on
port 8080) and one Apache 2/Subversion server (running on port 1000)

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at