Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology> on 2019/06/30 14:04:18 UTC

Re: Laptops for Outreachy interns

The short answer is yes, the ASF could provide laptops to selected interns.

I'm setting the boundary that this thread *NOT* devolve into a discussion
of where the funds for those laptops come from. Please create a *separate
thread* for discussions about that. Let's keep this thread on the topic of
what sending laptops would look like, what incentive that provides, and the
known pitfalls.

Mozilla already provides laptops to selected interns. It's the only
Outreachy community to do so. Mozilla provides laptops because compiling
the massive Firefox code base is very slow and/or impossible on older
laptops. I'm not sure how they work around that issue in the application
phase, but I can ask the Mozilla coordinators.

Word about how the Mozilla interns get a laptop seemed to spread quickly to
applicants from Indian universities (Outreachy's largest demographic).
Applicants are very excited about the possibility of getting a laptop, so
much that they often search for Mozilla projects to apply to first. Mozilla
also has several other things that make them one of the more popular
communities for applicants, including a welcoming community, mostly web
development projects, and accepting a large number of interns.

There are some issues on Mozilla's side with sending a laptop. They often
get held up in customs. One intern from India did not get the laptop until
the internship was over.

That means Mozilla wants to lock down their intern selections as early as
possible in order to get their interns' address for laptop shipping. They
have to bend Outreachy's rule about not talking about intern selections
until the intern announcement date. They send interns an email asking for
their address to send "some Mozilla swag". I say it's bending the rule
because some applicants may guess asking for their address means they were
selected as an intern.

Giving the laptop to an intern directly is a way to avoid long customs
delays. If all the interns attend an ASF event during their first weeks, a
laptop could be given to them there. It also has the added benefit of
immediately connecting interns to the community.

The only problem with in-person events is getting a visa in time. That's
impossible enough for Indian interns that Mozilla has simply stopped
inviting them to events on a short notice.

I've thought some about what it would take for Outreachy to provide laptops
for all 40+ interns. Sadly I think that budget number is out of our reach.
If it was possible, we could try to work with a laptop supplier that ships
directly within India. Or give interns enough of a stipend to buy one
themselves.

A laptop itself may not solve all the barriers interns face. Some Indian
schools impose an evening curfew for all women students, in order to
protect them from gendered street violence. However, that means they have
less hours in the computer lab than the male students. Some of the women's
dorms do not have wireless internet. Interns from both India and Africa
often face power or internet outages. Outreachy mentors are expected to be
lienent when that happens.

That's a brain dump of what I know about sending laptops to Outreachy
interns. Let me know what questions you have!

Sage Sharp
Outreachy Organizers

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patricia,

This is exactly what I was looking for in terms of what kinds of barriers people face and how to reduce these barriers.

Thanks for this insight,

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Laptops for Outreachy interns

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
One interesting source might be companies who have tutorial stations at
conferences. The laptops/chromebooks used are often raffled off after
roughly 10 shows or so. It might be feasible to divert them to intern use
instead.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.
Keep in mind that many interns have second-hand systems. Think 10 year old
macbook air. Projects also need to see what virtualization instructions and
memory usages their dev environments need.

Sage Sharp
Outreachy Organizer

Posted by Andrew Musselman <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sage,

> [...]

>> going on Outreachy.  IMO, the ASF has other barriers as well.  Every ASF
>> project I've looked at is huge compared to many of the projects I've seen
>> on Github, so the learning curve may be tilted against inexperienced
>> programmers and they may need a more expensive computer to build the source
>> without it affecting the interns productivity.   But even then, the
>> entities donating directly to Outreachy could fund that more expensive
>> computer.  The ASF should not feel obligated to take on smaller projects
>> just to make Outreachy interns more successful.    Contributing code to the
>> ASF is more like becoming a commercial truck driver, contributing to GitHub
>> is more like becoming a ride-share driver.
>>
>> One thought on the financial barrier before I forget:  the ASF offers VMs
>> to projects.  Could they offer laptops as well?

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org