Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Se...@gmx.de on 2008/02/07 16:28:56 UTC

Subversion on a SMB-Share

Dear list,

I should set up a subversion system on a network share (access by about 5 users). As I read in various documentations it should never be done with Berkley databases.

But using a FSFS-repository with a network share is possible (Redbean-Tutorial). In the same document, it is recommended in the section "The Apache HTTP Server" to don't du so, because it "removes and layer of protection against the file system" (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html, seee below)

I know that the users are able to operate on the file system and be able to modify or delete files. But, it is a team of about 5 members. Has anybody of you experience or problems using a network share. I think, that especially corrupted network connections, file system permissions and multiple accesses can lead to problems because the system is accessed in the context of different users at the same time or has subversion a mechanism to avoid them?

The problem is that we need a version management and setting up a server infrastructure can not be realized in the short of time.

Thanks for your help.

Sebastian

citation from http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html

The Apache HTTP Server
[...]
Do not be seduced by the simple idea of having all of your users access a repository directly via file:// URLs. Even if the repository is readily available to everyone via network share, this is a bad idea. It removes any layers of protection between the users and the repository: users can accidentally (or intentionally) corrupt the repository database, it becomes hard to take the repository offline for inspection or upgrade, and it can lead to a mess of file-permissions problems (see the section called “Supporting Multiple Repository Access Methods”.) Note that this is also one of the reasons we warn against accessing repositories via svn+ssh:// URLs—from a security standpoint, it's effectively the same as local users accessing via file://, and can entail all the same problems if the administrator isn't careful.

Re: Subversion on a SMB-Share

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Seb.ADIO@gmx.de schrieb:
> I should set up a subversion system on a network share (access by about 5 users).

I wouldn't even trust such a system if there were just one user, e.g.
myself.

> The problem is that we need a version management and setting up a server infrastructure
> can not be realized in the short of time.

Like other people mentioned before, it takes less time to set-up a
svnserve daemon on one of your PCs than to create the network shares
with proper access priviledges.

When using file:// access method you will sooner or later get really
major problems when some users update their local Subversion clients to
newer versions. When using a proper svnserve/Apache server installation,
it will be completely up- und downwards compatible.

Regards
Andreas Schweigstill

PS.: If you need someone to install your Subversion server and create a
  proper repository structure don't hesitate to contact me.

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
Schweigstill IT | Embedded Systems

RE: Subversion on a SMB-Share

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

I assume you're using file:// to access the repository via the samba mount?

Just start an 'svnserve' process on the subversion server and have the clients access the repository via svn://server/repos.  Svnserve is easy to setup and doesn't carry the oh-so-minor risk of 'corrupting your repository and having no one else to blame but yourself for ignoring the documentation and deliberately making it easy to shoot you and your team in the collective foot, resulting in a loss of code, of time, and maybe even a job to two.'  =P

Setting up svnserve is in chapter six of the redbook, IIRC.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA623

RE: Re: Subversion on a SMB-Share

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

Plan B:  What about volunteering your manager's PC as a server?  If it's
only the 5 of you, and the repository is on a network share, the load
shouldn't be a big deal.  Unless you all are constantly rebooting or
doing massive updates or are just beating your machines to death, any
workstation could run as a subversion server.  Given that svn is
designed for offline work, any old pc or cheap new PC bought with your
manager's credit card from the local electronics store should work for a
small team.

As far as I can tell, the manual doesn't specifically state that it's
safe for multiple file:// clients on different boxes to hit a network
share repository.  It does say that a "repository can be accessed
simultaneously by clients running on the same machine on which the
repository resides using the file:// method."  I would be worried about
whether Samba and the network share detect/support/respect file locks
correctly.

Good luck.

*****

Re: Subversion on a SMB-Share

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 7, 2008, at 14:00, Seb.ADIO@gmx.de wrote:

> I understand, that I should use a server solution. The problem is,
> that my manager wants a fast solution and has no server to use.

I think you could have had svnserve up and running already in the
time it's taken you to have this email conversation... :) You
certainly don't need a dedicated server. Any computer already in your
office will do, as long as it stays on while people need to use the
repository.

Posted by Se...@gmx.de.
Dear list,

I understand, that I should use a server solution. The problem is, that my manager wants a fast solution and has no server to use.

I have one question: Do I have to intepret the sentence "you can put your share on a network if using a FS-repository" so that I can put the data store onto the network but I should acess it only over svnserver/or httpd (single access - synchronisation is done by the server process) or does it really mean to be able to acess the share over a mounted way with multiple users?

I see problems in using the share directly, that each users is able to completely delete the share. And synchronisation over network file system is in my opinion also a problem. But I think I misinterpreted the sentence.

Thanks.

Sebastian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Re: Subversion on a SMB-Share