Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> on 2007/03/11 03:45:09 UTC

dkim: lookup failed: DNS query timeout for _policy._domainkey.joysticktowers.com

I noticed this evening at 8:00pm that two of my hourly syslog snippets that
are emailed to me were missing. Looking at my mail via EL's webmail page I
see that they were still there and looking at my log in /var/log/syslog I saw
the above. Also going with this was

Mar 10 19:08:53 localhost named[3842]: FORMERR resolving
'joysticktowers.com/A/IN': 216.109.116.20#53
Mar 10 19:08:53 localhost named[3842]: FORMERR resolving
'joysticktowers.com/A/IN': 66.218.71.205#53

For some reason when this happens fetchmail will not delete the message after
downloading it therefore it just sits there and get downloaded over and over
again and prevents othere mail after it from being downloaded. Could this be

a) a fetchmail issue
b) a dkim plugin issue
c) a bind issue
d) mangled headers causing this
e) none of the above but an earthlink issue

I also notice that each time fetchmail runs the message is downloaded the
message is put in my spam folder after being run through procmail, for
instance on this message there are 20 copies.

Here are the headers:

 From: "Bryce Washington" <cr...@joysticktowers.com>
 To: <cp...@earthlink.net>
 Subject: You can save up to 70%
 Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:30:14 -0300

Thanks for any point in the right direction.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: dkim: lookup failed: DNS query timeout for _policy._domainkey.joysticktowers.com

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Saturday 10 March 2007 8:56 pm, John Andersen wrote:

> > For some reason when this happens fetchmail will not delete the message
> > after downloading it therefore it just sits there and get downloaded over
> > and over again and prevents othere mail after it from being downloaded.
> > Could this be
> >
> > a) a fetchmail issue
>
> In my experience this is a fetchmail issue.
> I found that prior versions ignored the fetchall option.
> When I upgraded to the latest version of my distro this
> was fixed. (Fetchmail 6.3.2)

Thanks John, logically, to me that sounds right. However, this doesn't happen
very often and when it does, removing the first message sitting in my inbox
on EL takes care of the issue and mail flows freely again.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Saturday 10 March 2007, Chris wrote:
> I noticed this evening at 8:00pm that two of my hourly syslog snippets that
> are emailed to me were missing. Looking at my mail via EL's webmail page I
> see that they were still there and looking at my log in /var/log/syslog I saw
> the above. Also going with this was
>
> Mar 10 19:08:53 localhost named[3842]: FORMERR resolving
> 'joysticktowers.com/A/IN': 216.109.116.20#53
> Mar 10 19:08:53 localhost named[3842]: FORMERR resolving
> 'joysticktowers.com/A/IN': 66.218.71.205#53
>
> For some reason when this happens fetchmail will not delete the message after
> downloading it therefore it just sits there and get downloaded over and over
> again and prevents othere mail after it from being downloaded. Could this be
>
> a) a fetchmail issue

In my experience this is a fetchmail issue.
I found that prior versions ignored the fetchall option.
When I upgraded to the latest version of my distro this
was fixed. (Fetchmail 6.3.2)

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: dkim: lookup failed: DNS query timeout for _policy._domainkey.joysticktowers.com

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 3/10/07, Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> For some reason when this happens fetchmail will not delete the message after
> downloading it therefore it just sits there and get downloaded over and over
> again and prevents othere mail after it from being downloaded. Could this be
>
> a) a fetchmail issue

Yes, it is.  fetchmail won't download messages "out of order", it
won't mark the message on the server as one it has already seen until
it has successfully delivered it locally, and any timeout either in
the connection to the server or in the local delivery causes the local
delivery to be treated as a failure (so the message isn't marked) and
the entire fetchmail process to exit (so no later messages get fetched
in that session).

You're effectively deadlocked until you either fix the timeout problem
or delete the offending message from the server by some other access.