Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org> on 2016/07/29 16:52:44 UTC

[ReplicationHandler] Backup policy to automatically backup slaves after replication

Scenario : Legacy replication
Slaves fetch the index from the master, Slaves are only  used to serve
searches.

I want the slaves to keep a backup.
I want to automatically start the backup after each replication end.

I set up the slaves to be both master and slave ( repetitor ) .
No one willa ctually use them as masters but it is necessary to set the
backup in the ReplicationHandler :

<lst name="master">
    <str name="enable">${enable.master:true}</str>
    <str name="backupAfter">commit</str>
    <str name="confFiles">schema.xml</str>
</lst>
<int name="maxNumberOfBackups">2</int>

According to my knowledge the last step of the replication process is :

   - After the download completes, all the new files are 'mov'ed to the
   slave's live index directory and the files' timestamps will match the
   timestamps in the master.
   - A '*commit*' command is issued on the slave by the Slave's
   ReplicationHandler and the new index is loaded.--

I was expecting after the commit on the slave, the backup to start, but I
got nothing.
I didn't have the time to go into the code yet, but is this what we expect ?
Is the replication handler not able to capture a commit that it emitted
itself and so the backup is not started after that commit ?

I executed and explicit empty commit command on the slave, and the backup
started ...

Cheers

Benedetti Alessandro

"Tyger, tyger burning bright