Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ge...@ameritech.net on 2003/04/01 04:42:46 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] How does HTTPS work?

I think you're mixing up http(s) headers and packet headers.  The latter
are visible to the proxy server but not the former.

ken

At 10:16 (UTC-0800) on Mon, 31 Mar 2003 Rufoo said:

= What misled me is that I forgot that HTTPS
= communication takes over a totally different port -
= 443 and not 80, that is both http and https cannot go
= over the same wire.
=
= Now, how do proxies work for https? proxies rely on
= the http(s) headers, which are now not available.
= Also, what is the semantics for page caching?
=
= Thanks
= rf
=
=
= --- Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com> wrote:
= > Well rf,
= >
= > there are no headers to see because all of it is
= > encrypted. You will not be able to read anything at
= > all.
= > Imagine the web server set's a cookie as a session
= > id for a login into sensitive data. The browser
= > would submit the cookie in the http headers and
= > anyone listening could simply join the session and
= > act as the actual owner of the account with the
= > sensitive data.
= > The connection established between the client and
= > server is an encrypted connection where absolutely
= > everything is encrypted through a secure socket.
= > That's why it is called secure socket layer (SSL)
= > and not secure http layer, which could be the name
= > of what you seem to think.
= > The secure socket layer is simply a layer between
= > tcp and http. Somehow embeded in the secure socket
= > layer is a regular http connection.
= >
= > You also seem to have a wrong perception of headers.
= > A http connection is not really something
= > sophisticated from the transmission point of view.
= > The client simply transmitts a chunk of text and the
= > server answers with another junk. That's it. Not
= > even the headers are transmitted in a seperate way.
= > They are simply the start of this junk of text
= > seperated by 2 line breaks. In https when these
= > headers are transmitted they are just a part of the
= > encrypted chunk of text and therefore you can't read
= > them.
= >
= > If there is anything you don't understand now let us
= > know.
= >
= > Jurgen
= >
= >
= > On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 03:04:05 -0800 (PST)
= > Rufoo <ru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
= >
= > >
Posted by Rufoo <ru...@yahoo.com>.
--- Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:42:16PM -0800, Rufoo
> wrote:
> >
> > --- gebser@ameritech.net wrote:
> > >
> > > I think you're mixing up http(s) headers and
> packet
> > > headers.  The latter
> > > are visible to the proxy server but not the
> former.
> >

> > A http proxy gets the target host's name from the
> GET
> > line, now in the case of https where is this
> > available?
>
> The client connects to the proxy and uses the
> 'CONNECT' method to establish
> a connection to the secure server.  The argument to
> this method will be the
> hostname and port number of the secure server.

So the proxy mechanism here is different from that of
http/proxy. which rfc describes this (googling on
https+rfc is yeilding something on TLS and not SSL).

> I'm a little curious about your motivations here,
> Rufoo - are you just
> curious about how this all works, or do you have an
> application in mind?
> If the latter is the case, you'll probably get more
> helpful answers if you
> give an outline of what you're trying to achieve.
>
> Of course if you're just curious, that's great!  I
> wish more people would
> take an interest in how these things work at a lower
> level :)

Yes, I am just curious.

> Cheers,
>

> Zac