Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Samuel Dubois <sr...@basicisp.net> on 2018/09/23 12:34:10 UTC

Database

How can I add the same last name but different first name to my database

Re: Database

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 08:34 23/09/2018 -0400, Samuel Dubois wrote:
>How can I add the same last name but different first name to my database

Er, simply by adding a record with the same value for the last name
field but a different value for the first name field!

It might help if you identified what exact problem you are seeing
with this. One possibility is that you are using the last name field
as the primary key in your table. Each primary key value needs to be
different, so that they can identify each record uniquely. If you
need two records with the same last name - why not? - you cannot use
that field as your primary key. If you don't have a field which will
be naturally different, the sensible thing to do is to create an
additional field which serves no purpose apart from being the primary
key. If you set it to "auto value", unique values will be added
automatically, without your having to do anything.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker