Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/11 22:53:34 UTC

Handlersocket/MySQL for use by JDBC adapter

Hi,

Has anyone experimented with using the JDBC storage adapter with a
MySQL back-end that's configured to use HandlerSocket? If so, I would
love to hear about your experiences.

For those who don't know about HandlerSocket it brings NoSQL
functionality to MySQL whilst still supporting simplified SQL queries
(no joins etc) and breath taking throughput. The author reports that
throughput of 750,000 qps have been measured.

Percona Server ships with HandlerSocket as a plugin that can be
enabled: http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-server/5.5/performance/handlersocket.html

The HandlerSocket's author's blog is:
http://yoshinorimatsunobu.blogspot.com/2010/10/using-mysql-as-nosql-story-for.html

With all the talk of Replicated LevelDB storage being released in
ActiveMQ 5.9.0 I thought that HandlerSocket might prove compelling as
another storage option given that MySQL and its replication are well
proven.

Thoughts? Would this be a huge undertaking to implement support for?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Handlersocket/MySQL for use by JDBC adapter

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
sounds interesting. A new persistence adapter is not trivial but with
jdbc, most of the work is deferred to the store so it is one of the
simpler approaches.
Atm there are a few joins in the jdbc statements[1] but for a first
stab that does not do priority it would be straight forward.
Durable topic subs with priority support are quite complicated  in the
current implementation so that could be revisited given some
sql constraints.

To validate, a first cut HandlerSocketPersistenteAdapter with support
for non priority queues would be the way to go.

[1] https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/trunk/activemq-jdbc-store/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/store/jdbc/Statements.java

--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com