Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Manu Reddy <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/13 09:12:25 UTC

Map JVMs not being terminated after MAP jobs complettion.

Hi,

I am running a memory intensive task on my cluster. The reducer class
should load more than 2gb into memory. I was running into memory issues as
the Map JVMS were not terminated after the completion of map tasks and
still were holding onto memory.

Is this normal? What can I do to ensure that my reduce function gets called
only after all the map jvms are down?

--
Manu Reddy,
mobile no: 091-8143405225,

Re: Map JVMs not being terminated after MAP jobs complettion.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
After the map task finishes , the VM terminates and all resources are
reclaimable.

Reduces might start pulling data from completed map tasks much before all
the maps are finished. However there is a property using which you can
delay the reduce step till all the maps are completed.

Rahul

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kokkula, Sada" <Sa...@bnymellon.com>.
Did you set up the below said parameter during the process?

mapred.job.reduce.memory.mb

I am running a memory intensive task on my cluster. The reducer class should load more than 2gb into memory. I was running into memory issues as the Map JVMS were not terminated after the completion of map tasks and still were holding onto memory.
Is this normal? What can I do to ensure that my reduce function gets called only after all the map jvms are down?

--
Manu Reddy,
mobile no: 091-8143405225,
Hyderabad.

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any attachment, or any information contained therein, by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Please refer to http://disclaimer.bnymellon.com/eu.htm for certain disclosures relating to European legal entities.

RE: Map JVMs not being terminated after MAP jobs complettion.

Posted by "Kokkula, Sada" <Sa...@bnymellon.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kokkula, Sada" <Sa...@bnymellon.com>.