Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2006/11/14 13:48:58 UTC

ActiveMQ POM

Howdy,

I was wondering if anybody knows why we are using
"${activemq-version}" instead of "${project.version}" in our ActiveMQ
poms??  When doing a release build, it's easy to forget that you need
to updated the version in to places.  Can't we just use the
"${project.version}" variable??

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: ActiveMQ POM

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/14/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I was wondering if anybody knows why we are using
> "${activemq-version}" instead of "${project.version}" in our ActiveMQ
> poms??  When doing a release build, it's easy to forget that you need
> to updated the version in to places.  Can't we just use the
> "${project.version}" variable??

I'd have thought so?
--

James
-------

Re: ActiveMQ POM

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On 11/14/06, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the main problem is that users will never
> download newest versions.  IMHO, this would be a bad
> idea.

yeah.

> On 11/14/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Fritz!
> >
> > I knew there had to be a reason that I was just not aware of.  What do
> > you think would be the downsides of not using the special "SNAPSHOT"
> > handling that maven provides?  What if we tagged our SNAPSHOT builds
> > with something like like "DEVELOPMENT" instead of "SNAPSHOT".
> >
> > I'm guessing that problem would go away, but what other ones would we get?
> >
> > On 11/14/06, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is also my experience.
> > > If we just use the real version 4.2-SNAPSHOT
> > > for example, it should also work and maven
> > > should be able to change (*nearly*) all these
> > > occurrences when using the release plugin.
> > >
> > > I say nearly, because in ServiceMix, there are
> > > some edge cases where this fail (when including
> > > the version in files other than pom.xml like artifacts
> > > resources for example).

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: ActiveMQ POM

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: ActiveMQ POM

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I'm actually ok with that.  overwriting old artifacts.  That part the
kinda sucks is that maven won't download updates to those artifacts.

On 11/14/06, Fritz Oconer <fo...@exist.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the downside here is that it will loose reference to previous
> builds. Since "development" will not change to timestamp, then "deploy" will
> just overwrite the existing artifacts.
>
> Regards,
> Fritz

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: ActiveMQ POM

Re: ActiveMQ POM

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Thanks Fritz!

I knew there had to be a reason that I was just not aware of.  What do
you think would be the downsides of not using the special "SNAPSHOT"
handling that maven provides?  What if we tagged our SNAPSHOT builds
with something like like "DEVELOPMENT" instead of "SNAPSHOT".

I'm guessing that problem would go away, but what other ones would we get?

On 11/14/06, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is also my experience.
> If we just use the real version 4.2-SNAPSHOT
> for example, it should also work and maven
> should be able to change (*nearly*) all these
> occurrences when using the release plugin.
>
> I say nearly, because in ServiceMix, there are
> some edge cases where this fail (when including
> the version in files other than pom.xml like artifacts
> resources for example).
>
> On 11/14/06, Fritz Oconer <fo...@exist.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I added ${activemq-version} instead of ${project.version} basically as a
> > workaround for build failures due to differences in timestamp. If we use
> > ${project.version} then it will require all activemq type artifacts
> > (specified as <dependency> in the parent pom.xml) to have the same timestamp
> > as the parent. This becomes an issue when nightly-build deploy fails after
> > some of the modules have been deployed causing some activemq modules to have
> > different timestamp as the parent. We can change this back to using
> > project.version but we need to make sure that nightly-build always deploys
> > successfully or I wonder if there is another workaround for this?
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-956
> >
> > Regards,
> > Fritz

Hiram