Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2007/05/01 01:29:55 UTC

Re: James MBox & Thunderbird MBox

Jerry M ha scritto:
> I want to write a utility to sync my Mozilla Thunderbird mail repository
> with a SQL database.  I'm looking around for a set of java classes that
> can parse the Thunderbird mail repository.  All I need is an easy way to
> get the mail messages out of TBird files and into MimeMessage or perhaps
> James Mail objects.
>
> From what I have have learned, I believe Thunderbird uses MBox format
> for its mail.  I have also seen references to James using MBox as well
> for its file-based repository option.

No, James' FileRepositories use another format. Anyway JAMES Server has
some sort of Mbox support.

> First question.... how similar, if at all, is the TBird MBox format to
> the James MBox format?

James 2.2.x and 2.3.x have a really basic support for MBox files: they
are able to read mail from that files.

James trunk makes use of the mstor library and has better support for
that format.

> Second question... would it be possible to use the James MBox package of
> classes to parse the TBird repository?
>
> I have no problem writing a little code.  I just don't want to have to
> learn how to interpret and parse the MBox format if at all possible.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give.

Please take a loot at http://mstor.sourceforge.net/ first.
If you just need to read your thunderbird files it may be the best solution.

Otherwise using james you could configure it to ready your mbox files
and store messages into sql db without writing code, only configuring
appropriately JAMES Server..

Stefano