Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Stefán Baxter <st...@activitystream.com> on 2015/07/30 19:21:02 UTC

Amazon EFS and EC2 based Drillbits

Hi,

Soon the Elastic File System will be available by Amazon that promises fast
access to "thousands of concurrent EC2 nodes" based on the NFSv4 protocol.

I know some people here have been using S3 as storage and the way I
understand it it's working so-so and hase the following ddrawbacks:

   - Does not take advantage of the columnar format of the Parquet files
   - S3 Being blob bases

   - Involves quite a bit of latency (file loading etc.)

Have you looked at this new offering and what do you think about it?

Do you think it stands a change of becoming a hdfs alternative for a
Parquet+Drill setup?

Any instance-type preferences for Drill on EC2?

We were looking at fronting S3 with Tachyon as an alternative but this
seems like a service that we should explore further.

Regards,
 -Stefan