Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Danny Cranmer <da...@apache.org> on 2023/02/17 16:51:01 UTC

[DISCUSS] Flink minor version support policy for old releases

Hello all,

As proposed by Matthias in a separate thread [1], I would like to start a
discussion on changing the policy wording to include the release of bug
fixes during their support window. Our current policy [2] is to only
support the latest two minor versions: " If 1.17.x is the current release,
1.16.y is the previous minor supported release. Both versions will receive
bugfixes for critical issues.". However there may be bug fixes that have
been resolved but not released during their support window. Consider this
example:
1. Current Flink versions are 1.15.3 and 1.16.1
2. We fix bugs for 1.15.3
3. 1.17.0 is released
4. The 1.15 bug fixes will now not be released unless we get an exception

The current process is subject to race conditions between releases. Should
we upgrade the policy to allow bugfix releases to support issues that were
resolved during their support window. I propose we update the policy to
include:

"Upon release of a new Flink minor version, the community will perform one
final bugfix release for resolved critical/blocker issues in the Flink
version losing support."

Let's discuss.

Thanks,
Danny

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/019wsqqtjt6h0cb81781ogzldbjq0v48
[2] https://flink.apache.org/downloads.html#update-policy-for-old-releases

Re: [DISCUSS] Flink minor version support policy for old releases

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Danny Cranmer <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks all for the feedback.

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by weijie guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by yuxia <lu...@alumni.sjtu.edu.cn>.
+1
Thanks for the proposal.

Best regards,
Yuxia

Posted by Weihua Hu <hu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
+1

I would not be surprised to also see future requests to extend the window
for older releases in general. Rollout of upgrades may not keep pace with
our current release policy for a variety of reasons.

Thanks,
Thomas

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com.INVALID>.
+1