Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se> on 2021/11/23 15:13:19 UTC

[math] Reduce density of a point cloud

Hi,
I am working with metric coordinates captured with a 3d scanner.
The data set tends to be unnecessary large for a simple visualization and a
bit heavy too.

Does math have something ready made that I can feed my data along with a
parameter of let's say 0.1 meter rendering a set where no remaining point
is located closer than 0.1 meter to another?

I have some ideas on how to do this "manually" but I suspect this might be
an existing feature of commons-math.

Patrik

Re: [math] Reduce density of a point cloud

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrik,

It's funny that you mention this because I am currently working on
GEOMETRY-142 [1] in commons-geometry which exactly addresses this
issue. The idea is to have PointMapXD and PointSetXD classes that
store point keys using a precision context, which allows "fuzzy"
comparisons. So, if you create a set with a
Precision.DoubleEquivalence instance with an epsilon of 0.1 and add
all of the points, the "unique" points left in the map will all be at
least a distance of 0.1 away from each other. I'm very early on in the
ticket so I haven't decided what type of algorithm and data structure
to use. If you have any input, it would be most helpful.

Regards,
Matt J

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GEOMETRY/issues/GEOMETRY-142