Posted to users@maven.apache.org by alexworden <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/26 04:01:23 UTC

How does maven resolve plugin dependencies

Hi - this is a plea to someone with good command of the English language and
deep understanding of the guts of Maven 2... if such a person exists.

Please can explain what maven does to resolve a dependency. Currently when I
try:

mvn eclipse:eclipse

It fails miserably with the cryptic message...

The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin' does not exist or
no valid version could be found

I've tried using -e and -X but as usual none of the output makes any sense
to anyone but a maven developer.

(FYI - I've read the usual resources on this and would not be asking this
question if I found a satisfactory answer. I've read the "Better Builds..."
book and have to say I really don't like it and it didn't answer my
questions either. It's not written from a user perspective and hence is not
useful.)

Where is maven looking for this plugin? How does it know (and is it correct
in assuming) that it should be org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin
?

>From what I gather, maven should look in:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/eclipse/ but when I browse there, I don't find
any versions available. Is there something wrong with the maven repository
right now? very mysterious...

Please help if you can!

Thanks,

Alex

Re: How does maven resolve plugin dependencies

Posted by alexworden <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your suggestions Wayne. I found a way to fix the issue.

I searched in my local repository under org.apache.maven.plugins... and
found that it did not contain a version directory  (that should contain the
jars etc) - just a couple of xml files describing the artifact etc.

I deleted the directory and behold! It worked!

I didn't delete the jars. Maven must have done something with them??

I still think it would be very useful if someone could deterministically
document what on earth maven is doing.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by alexworden <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,